Ten month old JG pullet with wry neck

Trevorusn

Crowing
Apr 15, 2019
New Hampshire
Howdy, so I discovered this morning that one of my pullets has wry neck, apparently developed overnight. I have gone through past threads here, but there are some questions that weren't seemingly answered in past posts. It seems Vitamins E and B12/B complex work best, for liquid how much would a proper dosage of each be??? First time dealing with wry neck, so not totally sure of all the steps I need to do. Should I quarantine her inside? She is moving around actively but very clumsily, so not sure how well/difficult eating and drinking are for her. I do not have a poultry vet readily accessible, are antibiotics like prednisone a must or will the vitamins and tiny selenium dosage be enough?? I may do sunflowee seeds for the selenium but am open to any help. Is it common for older birds to develop this? I read chicks and Silkies are prone to this, but not so many cases of older birds.

I do have Rooster Booster Vitamins and Electrolytes with Vitamins B6 and B1 of 270mg and B2 of 32mg, and Vitamin E of 160 IU, would these amounts be sufficient??

In wry neck some types are caused by head or neck injuries, vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, and also it can be seen in certain diseases, infectious diseases such as Mareks.

If you give some Thiamine (B1) and 400 IU of vitamin E daily those may help, and orally is fine. A small amount of cooked egg can supply a bit of selenium, which helps utilize vitamin E. Make sure that she is getting enough to drink and eat, or you may need to hold and feed her several times a day.

In wry neck some types are caused by head or neck injuries, vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, and also it can be seen in certain diseases, infectious diseases such as Mareks.

If you give some Thiamine (B1) and 400 IU of vitamin E daily those may help, and orally is fine. A small amount of cooked egg can supply a bit of selenium, which helps utilize vitamin E. Make sure that she is getting enough to drink and eat, or you may need to hold and feed her several times a day.
Looks like she will need lots of assistance at the moment. I plan on giving her sunflower seeds, and have Vitamin E geltabs, B pills and selenium pills. What is the best way to give them to her, in the food or her water? Can I give them all at once to her? It seems 2 weeks is the average dosing time, twice a day correct?

Don’t use the selenium tablets, since selenium can be overdosed. Only a small amount is needed, and sunflower seed, egg, and tuna each contain plenty. Do you have B Complex tablets (not B12) ? Only 1/4 tablet of B complex can be used and given the vitamin E. B complex has all B vitamins. You need thiamine or B1 and E. If you can mix the E and B1 in a little cooked egg or wet feed, you can give it that way. You could also give them directly into her beak to swallow.

Don’t use the selenium tablets, since selenium can be overdosed. Only a small amount is needed, and sunflower seed, egg, and tuna each contain plenty. Do you have B Complex tablets (not B12) ? Only 1/4 tablet of B complex can be used and given the vitamin E. B complex has all B vitamins. You need thiamine or B1 and E. If you can mix the E and B1 in a little cooked egg or wet feed, you can give it that way. You could also give them directly into her beak to swallow.
So will she be ok to take the E geltab whole? I've seen a few similar videos with scrambled egg mashes being used, I'll try sunflower seeds first and progress from there, her head is in a downward facing position so it'll certainly be a challenge. And yes, I have B Complex tabs with B1 in it, I'm assuming I give her a quarter tab orally once a day? And the E is one tab once or twice a day? Thanks, I've never dealt with this and am really a bit unsure of doses, feeding/watering techniques, etc.

You can try to give it whole. I don’t know how big they are. If too big, mix into a bit of egg. Give 400 IU of E once daily and 1/4 tab of B complex once daily.

Back
Top Bottom