Tennessee

West Tennessee here-just North of Memphis. New to BYC & a newbie to chickens too. So far, have some buff orpingtons, Australorps, & a few unknown bantams (couldn't resist:)

Have a pretty empty 100×100 horse barn & arena. I plan to convert one of the smaller/ end stalls (12x15') into a coop. Then install an auto door to the stall/coop's outer wall(which has a 15' area width between the barns outer wall & a fence). I planned to line the wood fence with chicken wire and run it the length of the barn (or maybe go only 1/2 the length of the barn) providing them a potential 50' (or 100') x15' run. I'm worried about hawks (& possums, raccoons, & coyotes, etc.) all which we have a big abundance of (especially hawks which are constantly killing the wild birds) around here. I've read that you should use metal mesh hardware cloth to keep out predators but that stuff is so darned more expensive...anyone have an alternative suggestion or know where I can buy it that's more affordable than TS, Lowes, or Amazon (which the cheapest avg abt. $2+/perft.)? Also, the barn is a hard packed dirt floor...wondering should I put down flooring or is pine shavings over sand/dirt good enough? Any other suggestions for converting/creating the coop/run would be greatly welcomed & appreciated. Thanks.

You can get bird netting for the top of the runs. This will prevent owls and hawks from swooping in but not from raccoons and weasels and possums from coming over the top. Make the hen house secure. Bury chicken wire under the edges on the outside so that the coons and weasels don't tunnel under. Get a Pyrenees or other large guard dog to keep watch at night. Adopt a mustang mare or donkey to keep foxes and coyotes and stray dogs away. I know of one shepherd who had a guard llama that spat a wad of cud and hit the eagle taking off one of her hens and made it drop the hen.

Sand is an excellent option. Shavings on top of sand can give extra absorption and then when you strip the coop/stall you can put it in the compost. Electric wire or electric net is a good option to keep night visitors away. You can put aluminum strips on the wire and bait them with peanut butter. The wild animal licks it and gets the full shock to the mouth and doesn't even think of challenging the fence. There is a barn stall to coop conversion in the Learning Center that can give you ideas. Several people have used wildlife cameras to identify their problem visitors. Super handy if you ever get the two legged variety of coyote.
wink.png
Use mirrors pointed skyward to discourage hawks and eagles. They don't like to dive into the blinding light flashes because they could crash.

Bird netting is sold on EBay. If you stalk the auctions you can get a good deal. You have to set what your price is going to be and let some of them go if you are outbid. If you have the time you will find one that ends at an odd time of day or is in the last half of the month when people have less money and you can pick it up for less. You can also find bird netting in tree nursery catalogs. Raintree Nursery has some good prices.

Doing fine here in Campbell County, north of Knoxville. I just got my first shipped eggs today, and they look great! I'm expecting more in a day or so and will set them this week. My first hatch, as part of the Easter HAL, went well with 13 out of 17 hatching. I'm timing this hatch to coincide with Mother's Day when my daughter will be here.

No, the only place I can find them is up North. Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. Wish I could find some local.

Back
Top Bottom