Tennessee

Pics
I have a quick question for some of my East Tennessee friends. My hubby and I usually take a week long camping vacation at LBL. Our plans have been washed out this year by the massive flood in this area. Vacation time has been turned in at work so changing dates is not an option for us. We would like to have a back up plan, and I am having trouble finding any information on backcountry camping in the Gatlinburg area. Do any of you have any websites that you can refer me to for backcountry camping areas out yonder way?

Quote:
the Abrams Creek ranger station is just over the mountain from me and it's always been one of my favorite camping sites. there are sites you can park at right at the station, with a bathhouse, and several primitive sites along the trail. the thing that i love is that you can camp along the river and then hike into Cades Cove. check it out here.

Oh bb, I love Abrams Creek. We used to go alot when I was a kid. My mom was baptised in the creek when she was a kid. I still have relatives living in that area.

sheaviance1, if you go, hike along the river and look for a huge tree with a great big knot in its' trunk. My grandfather tied that tree in a knot when it was a tiny sapling probably 90 - 100 years ago.

Thank you guys for the information!!!!! This was exactly what I was looking for. We will start planning a trip tonight. Any chance there are any chicken swaps during the last week of May?
I definitely look for that knot, and if I find it, I will post a pic. We usually go backcountry camping at Land Between the Lakes. There is a local publication called "Between the Rivers" that shares stories of the people's lives prior to the government making them all leave. I got hooked on going and finding the different home-places that were told about in the magazine. When we go on vacation, I pick up a new one every year and go on a new historical tour.

Quote:
as a matter of fact, that is the weekend of the Amish sale in Delano (which is about 1.5 hrs from my house, so probably 1 hr 45 mins from Abrams Ranger Station).

eta: an added bonus of going to the Delano sale is that you will pass the turn-off to the Lost Sea, so you could make a little side trip to see that.

Last edited:
Wonderful!!!! I cannot wait to check it out. Hubby thinks I am nuts, but I am gaining a much greater appreciation for the simple life (which really equates to a whole lot of hard work). I have been wanting to hit an Amish sale for a while, and I always seem to miss the ones around here.

If you read back through this thread you will find directions to the Amish farm. Be sure to drive through the entire farm. It's a history lesson for your kids.

Oh, and one of our members is planning on going that weekend, Possumblossum. You might want to touch base with him and see if you all could meet up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom