Tennessee

stanglover2001 i looked at some houses for sale online in oliver springs- we were initially trying for johnson city, and when that one didnt take off we tried Clinton before Knoxville. Is it really only 30 minutes from oliver Springs to knoxville? It seems like even stuff 20 miles away comes up as being 1.5 hours driving distance. JEEZ! What is that MASSIVE plant, government city sized mess outside oak ridge on google maps? You know what iam talking about? It made me wonder if it puts anything in the air or water or something. Its so huge!

What about natural gas wells? yo uknow those things are horrific. Is there much of that out there? I really REALLY like friendsville area... I dont know why. Ever been there?

Algo purple- THANKS! Are you a carrier or a rural driver? My husband carries. Do you suppose its so hot he'll die of heat stroke? I hear its hot down there ,but the climate things say its only in the 80's in summer.

Thanks guys about the maples. I just wondered if it ever got cold enough to make them run sap. I guess not. lol.

Quote:
I am a rural carrier (actual title is RCA ) and I think I am going to die every summer lol. I don't know how much of a temp. difference there is between very west TN and Knoxville but I think it is just a tiny bit cooler up that way but I know it has got to get hotter than 80s in the summer. More like 90+. It makes me cry for winter again lol.

oh no! say it isnt so! iam sure we'll acclimate. Right now its like 10 degrees out and we comment on how warm it is. I cant imagine how we'll feel about 80% humidity and 90+ degrees...

Lots and lots of water and stay in the shade! lol
I did city carrying for a little while just to help out while all the city guys took vacations in Aug. and thought I was seriously going to pass out.
Your DH a city carrier or Rural?

I'm from Friendsville. Went all 12 years to school there. Now it's just an elementary school. Small sleepy town, couple of places to eat, no shopping, no grocery store except for a couple of convenience stores, and it's just a couple of miles from Fort Loudon Lake. There's a Methodist Church, a Quaker Church, and a Baptist Church.

I live outside Maryville now but my 1st MIL still lives in Friendsville and my Mother lives about 5 miles from there.

Oh, and that massive area outside Oak Ridge is where they originally made the Atomic Bomb. My Mother help put it together but no one knew what they were doing. We do joke that the wildlife glows green in the dark.

Last edited:
I have lived in West Tennessee all my life. Have never heard of Friendsville but grew up in a small place called Fruitvale, Tn. Here where I live the Temp gets up too at least 100 but not every day of the summer. Some summers are actually pleasant and others are much too hot but then I freeze in the winter time. Nice to be able to talk too all of you.

kcsunshine- there's like four plants up there! All in a row! its creepy... I dont think i'd want to live near them... lol. Friendsville sounds just like what we'd want. We live in a hamlet of 300 people. one post office, and one ma and pa shop with a gas pump. Its heaven. Whats with the stink'n state pen style fencing around the school? Who's trying to get in that place?!

It gets up into the 90's for a few weeks at atime around here, i think the difference is probably the humidity. Its humid right HERE because we live on the river and have a dirt basement... but in general its not that humid.

What do they do at those plants now? Are they still government institutions? its creepy that theyre all in a row...

FRUITVALE THAT SOUNDS SO CUTE!

Algopurple- He's a city carrier. They'd be hiring him for IN Knoxville... we dont know which office yet though. i wish we did. But you know how it is. we called everyone and their brother and they all gave us eachothers numbers... so we gave up. Some where in knoxville. no one knows what office until the transfer goes through. iam hoping its like farragot or fountain city. It looks like there is a BRAND NEW office in fountain city- googlemaps doesnt even show the building yet, just a lot they were working on at the time of the images. That wouldnt be too bad I dont think. At least its not down town.

So, guys I hear that knoxville doesnt really have any REALLY bad areas, like we're used to here in NY (albany) but that MLK and that area can be a bit hairy. i "drove" it on googlemaps and it seriously looks like every road in albany i've ever been down... lol. What do you guys think about knoxville, how's it stack up to other cities? I mean, we have two really small kids (11mo's and 4 yrs)

Chicken Fruit - the massive plants aren't as bad as they crack them up to be, DH works for UT Battelle, and has clearance to go to those plants. He's not radioactive, but he does have to wear a detector on his badge just in case. Acctually now that I think of it, half of my family works in some fashion for those plants. I know they do still run things with a "hush hush" attitude, but DH doesn't work on those parts, because if he did he wouldn't be allowed to tell me. It's def not an hour and a half away, unless you're driving to the very opposite of Knoxville from OS. Even then not more than an hour, traffic is not as bad down here, but people don't know how to drive when it rains or snows. I live in the middle of no where
tongue.png
it's a 20 minute drive to anything at least.

I think you'll like living in TN, I don't think I could live anywhere else. You must visit the mountains as well, gorgeous... my sis lives in a cabin near the mountains and we stay over night alot and go hiking and camping and such
big_smile.png

Friendsville is a nice area, you'll live near LC Feeds
big_smile.png
which is my favorite feed store... as most people on here know now
cool.png

ETA: any bad areas would be near the City of Knoxville really, like near downtown and UT (the college). BUT, it's much safer than what you probably live with comparitively. I don't feel safe when I go downtown but only because of the fact I'm young and a woman and I feel like a "target". I don't feel that when I'm with someone though...

Last edited:
Quote:
not in Knoxville, but out in Maryville (about 30 mins away). there are several of us E TN folks all within about 45 mins of each other.

Oak Ridge does a lot of nuclear research but it's all pretty safe. everything dangerous is buried deep underground and encased in specially designed rooms that are completely sealed. no one even goes in them- they do the work via robots controlled from outside.

it does get hot and steamy here in the summer. many days over 90 with HIGH humidity and several days over 100. but it's not really THAT bad, unless of course you are like a lot of us and spend all day gardening... but there are always the mountains and lakes to run away to!

Chicken Fruit - I used to work in Knoxville and I drove all over town during lunch. I always went to the post office on Broadway. My daughter lives about a block from it. I hate to say it, but I dislike the clerks in any post office. There could be a line backed up for a mile and if it was break time or lunch time for one of them they just walk off and leave people standing there. Customer service is obviously a no-no. And it's that way in every post office I've ever been in except for maybe one in a town like Friendsville. The only complaint I have about my carrier is I never know when they're coming. Used to be around noon - now I can go out there at 6 pm and the mail still isn't there. Sometimes I've gone back at 9 pm and find it there. But, sometimes it's there at 2pm. I don't really mind, but I have to walk across a highway to get to my box and it's a busy highway - right Biblio?

I'm on the highway that all the motorcyclists use to get to the infamous dragon. If you haven't heard of it, you will after you get here - even in Knoxville. Anyway - you'll be welcome - we're all good, friendly southerners. We're a little easier on Yankees than we used to be.......
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom