Tennessee

I've been on BYC for several months and have been talking to folks in the MIddle Tennessee thread, but somehow completely missed this thread until today. It's nice to meet other Tennesseans who enjoy keeping chickens.

When I let my chickens out to free-range - I always stay right out there with them since we live out in the country and there are lots of predators around. They wander around pecking and scratching but eventually they always make their way to my rose bed. They love dirt-bathing in it. I let them dig some holes around the edges - then I fill up the holes - then they dig them out again. However, they're getting a little too close to the root systems of the roses. Soooooo. Here is my idea before they completely ruin the roses. I have a kids' pool - hard blue plastic - about 60 inches diameter. Do you think I could fill it up with dirt/sand/DE - and train them to dirt-bathe in that instead? Anybody tried something like that before?

Quote:
Hi Carol-
We have the same issue here, and have worked really hard at training them to use various dust bathing stations made similarly to what you described. We offer them very special treats in these areas, and for most of our chickens it works really well...We have a bantam cochin hen named Rosie who has a mind of her own though!!
wink.png

I will have a very few spots available for transporting birds or rabbits back from Crossroads or the Rabbit Convention on the 30th of Oct if anyone needs something brought back to TN from Indy.I won't take any up though as I will be going up early and would have no place to keep them for you.

Quote:
The same goes for us......We are happy to transport birds (sorry, not rabbits) back from Indy to Mid TN for any of our local feather fanciers!!!!

Quote:
No, No. No......A bunny could get into terrible trouble here with the Terriers....They have taken care of our mole problem, and very seriously guarded our chicken yards from a few unfortunate cats, some vulture like birds and lots of other stuff, except, I have not had to clean up remains on the others!!

wessfarm, welcome. There are several chicken lovers in west TN. I live quite a bit north of you.

Back
Top Bottom