Tennis elbow, anyone? Experience, treatments

jerseygirl1

Crowing
13 Years
14 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Orange County, NY
OK, just curious if anyone has dealt with the tennis elbow? I have just had my second cortisone shot and gearing up for physical therapy, my DH also has had two shots and some acupuncture.
No bashing, please, just what you have done to achieve relief, temporary or permanent?
Thanks

hugs.gif

I have various aches and pains from a couple different medical conditions. More than anything the one thing I've found that brings me the most (temporary) relief is a product called Tiger Balm. You can find it in the section of the drug store where IcyHot and the like are sold. The tiger balm patches work minor miracles on my back.

Feel better soon.
hugs.gif

I unfortunately tore the tendon in my elbow at work. I was given a certificate from my doctor for light duties at work- but my employer was stubborn and didnt offer me any alternative to the heavy lifting and constant movement. Being that I put in a work cover claim( what we call it out here in Australia when you want your employer to cover costs for a work place injury ) I had no treatment- no shots or physio. Its been nearly a year since it happened- and I still have on going pain. It kept me awake nights- and is worse when there is a few days colder weather. I did buy an elastic thermal wrap for the elbow and still wear it to help prevent any further strain - but rest was the only thing that really helped. When I have annual leave I would have nearly no pain- but as soon as I go back to work...it hurts again. Hope yours gets better sooner with the treatment you are having.

REST! The elbow will need plenty of time off to regenerate. I use to play tennis daily for years on end. When the shoulder or elbow became sore then the only solution was to take a long break. These days it is hauling heavy water buckets each day.
hmm.png

I have had tennis elbow in my right elbow for 3 months. I thought about going to get cortisone shots but never got around to it. I run a punch press machine and have to lift heavy sheets of metal and then shake out the parts all day. I cant take a break unless I want to lose my job. I wear a tennis elbow band that has like a little pad in it that presses on the tendon? I also was taking 2 Advil a day to help inflammation. It is slowly getting better but its taking its time.

This may sound weird but when I went to the doctor for mine, she put my wrist in a splint. Nothing else I did to treat it worked but this. I went to Walmart and purchased one of those rigid wrist splints and within a week my elbow stopped hurting. I wore it day and night. Mine had hurt so bad that even without moving, my elbow would throb. Splinting the wrist, she said, would help imobilize the specific tendon that had been injured/stretched. It worked for me. Good luck!

Avoid cortisone shots. They are short term relief that will create a long term chronic condition. There are elbow braces out there that help a lot. Simple bands that don't look like much but make a huge difference. Tennis elbow is caused by a repetitive action and the only real cure is don't do what caused it in the first place and take an anti inflammatory 2x day. Stop taking it every few days to see how the condition is doing as they can mask the symptoms and you need to know how things are progressing for real. Like sprains it can take months to heal. While taking an anti inflammatory, you must remember that it may feel better but it is not! Tennis elbow is a real pain in the @$$.

Yep I get it and I never played tennis a day in my life...
lol.png

Everyone I know over 35 that does traditional log work gets it. Were a brace on your elbow with an ice pack. At night be sure to keep it warm, keep your arm under the blanket. Rest it as much as you can. Flare ups will last me 1 to 3 weeks..
Hope that helps
ON

Back
Top Bottom