Terrie's Mexican Family Recipes

Many many years ago a Mexican immigrant lady let me help her make corn tortillas and she taught me how to make flour tortillas. Good stuff!

Buñuelos

3 1/2 c flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
cimmamon sugar or honey (or both
tongue.png
)

Sift flour with salt, baking powder and sugar. Add margarine. Using fingers, rub into flour mix until of coarse meal consistency.

Beat eggs with milk lightly. Pour into flour mixture. Mix until dough bevcomes a solid mass. Turn out on board. Knead 2 minutes. Make marble sized balls and let stand 15 minutes. Roll into 4 inch circles. poke a hole int he centers. Fry in deep fat until golden brown, no more than 30 seconds on each side. Drain and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while warm. Serve as is or with honey.

We had a delicious meal last night, thanks to Terrie's family recipes.
The tortillas were a success. My husband said they were the "best." He liked how they didn't tear apart while eating the taco - and he likes a full taco. They even stood up to the juicy turkey tacos that we had.

The rice is perfect. Similar to the rice served in a favorite Mexican restaurant that we used to visit - when we had money.LOL
But, this rice was much better!

I do have a couple of questions just so I can perfect the tortillas.
How thin should they be? I rolled them out, set aside to rest, and then rerolled before cooking. I was able to get a thinner tortilla this way. The first one that I cooked was way too thick. My dough needed that resting period between rolling. We suspect that these tortillas are a bit more thick than the mass produced store purchased tortillas. We've never had homemade until now.

Terrie, thanks so much for sharing your family recipes and allowing us to share in the tradition.
smile.png

Oh, almost forgot. Terrie, my DH wanted me to ask you how your grandma made tortilla chips for dipping. Could you please share that family secret, too?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom