Test run for new bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Solsken Farm, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got a new incubator. This is my first shot at hatching. I am going on vacation and when I return, beautiful eggs will be arriving from some wonderful stock.

I will have a few days after I get home to fiddle with the incubator and turner.

Have you all given yours a test run? What do you do?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Plug it in and set up to work exactly as if you are putting eggs in. Put in your thermometer and hydrometer. Let it run for a few days and just monitor how it works.

Enjoy your vacation.

3. Solsken Farm

Thanks Miss Prissy.

Should I clean it or do anything before it's first use? Obviously I will follow the manufacturer's directions, but wondering if anyone does anything else special with a new bator, other than bow respectivefully to it and do a hatch dance.....[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont clean brand new ones myself. Well, I've only had one brand new one, but I didnt clean it. Do a test run complete with water in the tray since temps work a bit differently with humidity rather than when you run it dry. Put more than one thermometer in there, too, perhaps three to check accuracy.

5. Solsken Farm

Okay, thanks Speckledhen. You and Miss P are really infinite sources of wisdom. Have a great week! I am off on vacation for a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by