Test your skills on my silkie!

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Mom is a dark blue, dad is either a dark blue or a lavender. When this little cutie popped out, I was sure I had a split hen and got my first lavender, and a girl to boot, but now I'm not so sure and wanted to swing it by some of our resident experts.
wink.png
It was screaming girl at me, not so much anymore... what do you think? And is it a light blue, or a lavender?

8 weeks old today...
IMG_4652.jpg

Over wing:
IMG_4654.jpg

Under wing:
IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking too... my lavender is way more periwinkle colored than this one, and the comb is starting to develop. I suck at sexing silkies, so I should have expected this!
lol.png

It's a blue, and I'll agree that while most silkies are almost impossible to sex before several months old, that bird is a cockerel.

OK... dash all my hopes...

lau.gif

He'll be a nice addition to the blue pen, then. I guess it's a good think I have blacks hatching right now so I can breed my lavender to him to get some splits.
wink.png

The blue gene is interesting. Not sure how much of the lavender has been injected into their offspring, but the chicks have been all over the board, from very pale grey to almost black. And now I have black chicks hatching that look very much like my dark blues...
hmm.png
Do they get darker as they get their adult plumage in? I need to go research some more...

Back
Top Bottom