Test your skills on my silkie!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrs MIA, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Mom is a dark blue, dad is either a dark blue or a lavender. When this little cutie popped out, I was sure I had a split hen and got my first lavender, and a girl to boot, but now I'm not so sure and wanted to swing it by some of our resident experts. [​IMG] It was screaming girl at me, not so much anymore... what do you think? And is it a light blue, or a lavender?

8 weeks old today...
    [​IMG]

Over wing:
    [​IMG]

Under wing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Definitely Blue and I am thinking boy.
    [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    That's what I'm thinking too... my lavender is way more periwinkle colored than this one, and the comb is starting to develop. I suck at sexing silkies, so I should have expected this! [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Light Blue. very cute [​IMG]

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    The poof sez "Roo!"

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Blue, but cant tell anyone the sex of any Silkie--they all look alike to me till they're grown, LOL. Lavender has an even tone all over, unlike blue.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It's a blue, and I'll agree that while most silkies are almost impossible to sex before several months old, that bird is a cockerel.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    OK... dash all my hopes...

[​IMG]

He'll be a nice addition to the blue pen, then. I guess it's a good think I have blacks hatching right now so I can breed my lavender to him to get some splits. [​IMG]

The blue gene is interesting. Not sure how much of the lavender has been injected into their offspring, but the chicks have been all over the board, from very pale grey to almost black. And now I have black chicks hatching that look very much like my dark blues... [​IMG] Do they get darker as they get their adult plumage in? I need to go research some more...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by