alright, so I called around and spoke with the lab in Davis. It was a different department since it will be a necropsy, thanks for the correct link so I could call the right department. This makes me sad to loose her, but will make me more at ease to have actual diagnosis, and that they will euthanize her with a shot, so I don't have to do it. I don't think I'm ready for that yet!

I have an appointment Monday to take her in myself to Davis and they will do the test for me. I'm feeling a little upset that I will have to kill her to find out, if it's not Marek's what could be causing these symptoms: paralysis, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, signs of stress(loss of feathers), not eating or drinking. The others are showing signs of difficulty breathing, loss of feathers/bald spots, one is limping.

I will check back to let you know results or if anything changes with my feathery friends. Thanks for your concerns and help! I am so appreciative of this forum! <3
So sorry. : hugs I think you're doing the right thing, and having them euthanize her will be much less disturbing for you. Please keep us posted, and remember we're here for support. : hugs

Thank you! I appreciate the support!

This makes me so sad for my lil lady, but I'm keeping her comfy and happy until then. We sat in the sun together for awhile, I gave her little massages and rubs and some fresh watermelon which she loves. My fiance was a little upset at my decision to take her to Davis, so we decided to take her to a vet on the way to get a little check up in person, rather then just describing symptoms over the phone to get a better idea of what's happening with my flock. And if she still says Marek's after seeing her in person we will take her the rest of the way. So sweet he wants to do everything possible. But with losing one already and others showing signs of symptoms, its definitely something serious going on whether or not Marek's and this will let us know exactly what. :(

I'm not sure how to post a video yet, but I will try and post one tomorrow; I put her to bed for the night. Mainly her right foot hangs limp, she won't use it or her right wing, which hangs to the side while she sits with her foot limp out to the side. She refuses to move now for almost a week though I try and coax her.

ok folks, so good and bad news today. Hannabelle has laid to rest <3 I took her to the vet today, NO MAREKS! thank goodness!!! my other chickens are ok, and only exhibiting symptoms of stress and heat. Also, I'm discovering they are a LOT older then I thought. Possibly all over 5+ years!
On the bad side, poor Hannabelle had developed an ovarian tumor that became quite large and obstructed her duct which in turn caused egg yolk peritonitis. There was nothing we could do for her anymore, so they gently euthanized her with gas. :( I'm quite sad about the loss of my lil lady, but I'm also thankful it wasn't bad news for the whole flock. thank you everyone for all your info, support etc over the last few days. I am so appreciative of you all. <3 thank you!!!

I'm sorry that your girl has gone. I know how hard that is.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but unfortunately Marek's Disease can cause tumours, so having a diagnosis of a tumour does not necessarily rule out Marek's from the flock. In my experience many vets have very little knowledge of chickens and their diseases. I think you may have missed an opportunity if you did not go ahead with the necropsy, but hopefully I am just being a pessimist. Certainly, if the chickens are older, and you have not introduced any new chickens then there is less likelihood of it being Marek's but it could perhaps be Lymphoid Leucosis.

Back
Top Bottom