Testing My Dogs with the Flock

Pics
I have a Pointer. When I first got the chickens two years ago, she was very interested in them through their fence. They were young and she was fascinated. The first time I let them out, she would be scolded if she got near them or even “looked” at them. She had to learn to leave them alone, since she loves being with me constantly.
Now she mostly ignores them. She will watch them sometimes, but it is casual observation not the “look” of a hunter.
The only danger they are in is her stealing their bread treat,
My goal from day one of getting the chickens was for all the animals (dog, cats, chicks) to be able to coexist freely as I didn't want to have to have one out while the other in etc. My dog is a mixed Terrier breed - def a hunter. We introduced her to the chickens as babies in the basement and then eventually when we moved them to the coop. We put the time in for leash training while the birds were loose. She def wanted to kill them! LOL But we kept with it and have had zero issues - to be honest I was more concerned about the cats (how do you train cats??) but the cats could care less. Now, they are all outside freely and drama free. I really felt my dog could do it - we've had her for 12 years and think we know her. Maybe not all dogs can get there - but don't assume they can't just because of breed (as some has suggested). Training, time, and patience - good luck!

Thank you for story and optimism. I also hate to just not trust a dog because of their breed, and I think the term bird dog, can be misinterpreted. I appreciate your optimistic outlook and thank you for taking the time to respond

Lots of dogs don't hurt chickens. Others are incredibly excited by them and can't risk playing with them, with various degrees of roughness. We take our dogs out with us and watch them. We hold our birds and tell the dogs "MINE!" All except our newest young dog have been completely fine. Sounds like your poodle is, too; just take her out with them and keep an eye on them until you are comfortable. Is your poodle large enough to be left alone outdoors with hawks and coyotes? Coyotes are even in the cities, although you might not see them.
Thank you so much for your kindness amd encouragement. Yes, she is a standard, we are in the country and we can hear the coyotes howling like mad some nights, so I know they are around. Luckily we haven't seen one during daytime yet, however I have hear of others near that have :hmm

We often expect a bit too much from our dogs. A few have outstanding protective instincts; most are just dogs. Her presence might make a hawk a bit nervous, but also might not. She's not a fence, merely a deterrence.
Thank you. I'm not counting that she is hawk deterrent, I was honestly just not loving having to take shifts with letting them free range and the dogs playing outside, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it helped a bit to be out with them. :)

Sounds like your dogs know that the chickens are part of “the family”.
I have a 90lb lab/boxer/greyhound mix who is actually somewhat afraid of my girls. He will be around them, but if they come to close he’s gone. I do think just having him around does help with hawks and coyotes or any other critters that may comes around. He’s a big boy and looks tough, but a total baby inside. Good luck on your chicks!
Aww he sounds like a good boy. I think it can't hurt with the hawks, right :). Thank you

Honestly I never really thought about it? The dogs have been around all sorts of animals at my dad's farm, when we added chickens, it wasn't a big deal -- often when we throw out food scraps you will see the chickens jumping at the dogs to try and steal their food! And they are both cattle dogs, they just all live together in harmony! Could something happen? Well, I mean it could, but it's more likely a chicken will have something else happen to it before one of our dogs hurts them...and we definitely are low on what animals even come close to the house with the dogs running around peeing on everything all the time and trying to "chase" every turkey vulture in the sky
That is a very good point!! Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom