Tethering dogs,..in the country???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Up-the-Creek, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:lol I carry my lil Abby around under my arm....now with that said she is 6 months old and weighs 5LBS...and she is in training as a therapy dog so she does have her "in training" sweaters and I have to carry her cause the residents in a long term facility feel the need to rush at her with their walkers and power wheel chairs...

2. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Quote:That's the thing about laws though ... they should not be designed to uphold the opinion of a few to infringe upon the established rights of the whole...

I understand what you are saying and I may or may not personally agree with you - but that isn't the point.

Folks should respectfully agree or disagree... not pass these kinds of laws to rule one another.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  3. PattiXmas

PattiXmas Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Different breeds really dictate the indoor/outdoor thing. That being said, I still think tethering/chaining outdoors is wrong. They are safer in a kennel. What if they get tied up in their chains?

4. chixie

chixie Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I don't like keeping dogs teathered but my nephews dog has to be until they can get a fence that will keep him in(he eats chain link fences)

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Jan 28, 2009
    (south West) Virginia
    I have a 75+ aussie/mix. He was a stray and he staid at my house for 2+ years never leaving. Then all at once he started roaming (he's fixed also) we would have to go 3 or 4 times a week looking for him, so he is now on a 100ft rope that he could easily chew threw but he dosen't and has been that way for about 2 years. I decided to tie him, he has alot more room tied than in a kennel. Our other dogs have wireless collars. He does not get along with them, He's getting grouchy in his older days. So he's tied seperate. I was able to find his 2 previous owners and their advise was good luck keeping him at home.LOL So he has to be tied or he's gone in a split second.

6. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I'm in favor of restraining your animals however they need to be to keep them under control!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Songster

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Quote:Thank you.

8. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Give them food, give them fresh water, give them shelter, and everyone else can shut it [​IMG] If they aren't on your property and are not in harms way, you (general "you") need to look the other way.
    That said, our dogs aren't tethered or tied, ever. But what works for some will be different for others. As long as your animals are cared for, everyone else should mind their own business.

9. tampitt

tampitt Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    Dallas
    Growing up we keep our dogs outside, along with the other farm animals and cats. I never had a pet(small pets like lizards, etc, not included) inside until after I got married and we adopted a cat that came with an inside clause. To me if its a dog, it belongs outside where it has space. As much as some people would like to believe, dogs are not people and do not need to be inside and treated like children. But I don't think they need to be chained up, unless there is a reason. I believe that being cooped up inside isn't good for a dog's mental well being. People have gotten used to it over time, but still cause problems for some. I just feel if the animal's being taken care of, food, water, shelter, etc, then it should be outside.

10. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Where I live stray dogs - read: not leashed or tethered - can be shot (legally, without penalty to the shooter) if they wander onto someone else's property.
    I think the law mentions harassment of livestock or other property damage.

If you cannot guarantee the dog will not slip the tether, wouldn't they be safer kenneled?
    I'm thinking a HUGE dogrun, not a 8X10 kennel.
    How much room do they have on the line?
    If it's 50', could you fence off a 50' dogrun?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: