Texas A&M ??'s

Quote:
A & M eggs are no different from normal coturnix eggs other than size....but jumbo browns can lay just as big of eggs as A & Ms can. A & Ms are coturnix, so their eggs are no different at all because it's the same bird just a different strain.

Coturnixs can lay eggs pretty much any color you can imagine....well other than green blue.....lol! They can lay pure white eggs, brown eggs, splotched eggs are most normal though.

WHat! You dont like coturnix meat!??!! LOL I think it's delish! I haven't tried A & M yet so maybe someone else can answer this part
smile.png

Oh and A & Ms are all white meat

How'd you cook yours? I probably gave up too quick. Still I felt it had a strong taste. Anyway I didn't like killing and cleaning was horrible too. Thanks for the info on the eggs. I had no clue what it would look like
smile.png
Thanks again

How did you cull yours.
When my DH does it it only takes second to cull them and he cleans them in less then a minute.
Then I seasoned them and they go on the grill for 5 minute each side. We eat them as a snack. And love to eat them. You can put them under the broiler for 5 minutes too.
We have all different kind of coturnix and I don't think there is a taste different in any of them. They all taste very good.
tongue2.gif
frow.gif

We had some guest over the holiday's and they had never had quail meat before.
We ask them if they wanted to try it and after hesitating, They decide they would try it.
They had 2 kids with them who are very picky eaters and don't like to eat anything.
Our kids love quail
love.gif
as a snack and after seeing ours eating their meat she wanted to try some.
And to make this story short . Our guest included the kids ask for more. They liked it a lot, better then chicken was the little girl words.
lau.gif
frow.gif

Quote:
Well the boyfriend hung them upside down, removed the heads and then plucked with the plucker. I think we cut the abdomen open and removed the insides and rinsed. I will be single soon and I know I can't kill the birds. We raised rabbits and I'd rather kill a stupid rabbit than a quail. Maybe I'll get back into it....thanks for the tips

Ugh i've culled both rabbits and quails, i'd rather cull a quail! LOL!

Rabbits are too much of a pain in the butt!!! And stinky blah (esp if culling a buck yuck lol)!

Most people cull them by snipping the heads off with shears...

I've tried this on two of my cull quail and it upset me so now i bonk them in the head on a hard surface then i cut the head off (so they are OUT when i snip the head off) then i either put them upside down on a wire cage to bleed out into, or i hold the legs and wings (so they dont flap blood everywhere) or i tie thier legs up and hang em while i cull others.

After they bleed out (they do really fast not much blood in them) I just grab a handflll of feathers and pull off...im not much for the skin and the quails skin comes off really easily...to tehp oint that its acutally HARD to keep the skin on lol.

Then I get my shears and look where their ribs end and their tummies begin, i snip on both sides right below the rib...i then insert my fingers into the holes i made and pull down. Takes out all the intestines, and then i fish up in the ribs for the heart and esophogus and whatever else i missed. I then snip off the vent, the legs, and the wings (nothing ot eat on teh wings) and i lay em down to cull the others.

I've cooked on the skillet with some oil, and another time on teh skillit with some water, and i seasoned them with italian seasoning and garlic.....oh they were good! I've NEVER cooked with a meat before that hOLD in the flavors so well! I asked my aunt about it who isa cook in Maryland at a fancy smansy resturant, and she said it's because theres no tmuch meat on them so the flavor just goes right in and so every bite has the flavor in it.
smile.png

I want to bake them next time i have culls
smile.png

Niki

To get back to the original question, the A&M eggs I received from an ebay auction look exactly like my pharoah's eggs. They are even the same size. I believe they have white breast meat, but I'm not sure (but if that stupid male doesn't stop crowing, I will know for sure!). I don't know if the ones I got were 'different', since the actual birds that came out of the eggs are about the same size as my phaorah hens, but that's the way mine are. Now the jumbo coturnix eggs I got were about twice as big as the A&M eggs, and the chicks that hatched out of them are about twice as big as the A&M's were on hatching. Maybe I just got some white pharoahs? Who knows?

Quote:
it sounds like you may have gotten tiny A & Ms this is what i was saying on my one post that some breeders dont pay attention when breeding their A &Ms and they end up just letting the birds breed hwoever they breed and the ending result is tinier birds because they didnt breed the biggest to the biggest. OR you could have English Whites, but if they were sold to you as A& MS i assume they are A &Ms but are down sized from the breeder not paying much attention to size in their breeding stock.

A & M eggs are to be HUUUUGe just like jumbo brown eggs.

Quote:
I don't care about egg size necessarily, I wanted to know if the eggs were white like the bobwhites or speckeled. Now I really want to know about the meat. Taste, all white etc.

Back
Top Bottom