Texas BYC Cafe

Two it is!
I'm oddly excited lol
I know, right?! I know I can watch, not sure I can 'do'.

You women scare me some time.
1f631.png

Oh I had 3 duck wings hatch and think I have 1 rooster out of the group. So the deal I made you if I have the roo and the other are hens is still on !!
1f423.png
LOL!
Those are some mighty cute chicks Harley. I may need to add them to my mix too.

Well my hatch rate this time was 47% quick sucks. I had 23 of my EE eggs in there and only 5 chicks hatched. It was cold the week that they laid them so guess that was the problem there. I picked up 12 what I was told was Ameracana but they are EE wroung color legs for sure. Out of the 12 I got 10 chicks. I bought a doz Araucana eggs but she gave me 25. Out of those I got 12 chicks. Which I am keeping them for breeding. I am picking up 2 doz BBS maran eggs and 3 doz that are a mix of Black Australorp, RIR, Cuckoo Maran, Buff Orpington. The breed are right she just does not mark the eggs. Will have to wait until they hatch to know how many of each I get. And all will be for sell except the black copper Marans. Watch my farm page on Facebook for pictureshttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Jones-Farm/620216548090387
OK, that post made my head spin. It sounds like a word problem for math. lol! I'm following your page now. :)

You women scare me some time.
1f631.png

Oh I had 3 duck wings hatch and think I have 1 rooster out of the group. So the deal I made you if I have the roo and the other are hens is still on !!
1f423.png

Gotta watch out for us womens!
wink.png

What are you going to do with a roo and no hens???
I mean...OBVIOUSLY I'll gladly take them off your hands
love.gif

Cute babies! And sorry about your hatch rate, but I mean...you're just starting out in the scheme of things.
It'll get better!

Gotta watch out for us womens! ;)

What are you going to do with a roo and no hens???
I mean...OBVIOUSLY I'll gladly take them off your hands :love
Cute babies! And sorry about your hatch rate, but I mean...you're just starting out in the scheme of things.
It'll get better!

[COLOR=purple ]I had a total of 12 Araucana chicks 6 BBR 3 duck wing and 3 red/blue chicks. I was keeping the duck wing roo cause he is from a different pen then the others. So I can not keep the girls if I keep the roo. I will be getting more of the eggs again in the next hatch. [/COLOR]

I have a question. What makes a chicken duckwing? Do only the Araucanas come this way?

edit:

OK, I did a bit more research and discovered it is a color and many breeds have it. There is actually a thread on here about it. lol!

Last edited:
Ok 2 of my silkies have the puff on their head and 2 don't. Any ideas why? Now there are two roo in this pen one silkie and on blue partridge braham. Not sure what that combo would look like. But all the chicks look the same other than the puff of their head.

Ok 2 of my silkies have the puff on their head and 2 don't. Any ideas why? Now there are two roo in this pen one silkie and on blue partridge braham. Not sure what that combo would look like. But all the chicks look the same other than the puff of their head.
Maybe the two without the puff have a Brahama daddy? What do their legs look like? Any feathers on them?

It's probably the vaulted skull. Not every chick will have it.
I think it's desirable in the show world because they have a bigger top knot/poof
But as chicks (and possibly beyond) you have to be careful because they can be more susceptible to brain injury

vaulted_skull.jpg

It's probably the vaulted skull. Not every chick will have it. 
I think it's desirable in the show world because they have a bigger top knot/poof
But as chicks (and possibly beyond) you have to be careful because they can be more susceptible to brain injury

vaulted_skull.jpg

Hummm I did not know that. Very good info. I didn't realize some silkie had it and some didn't.

I have a question. What makes a chicken duckwing? Do only the Araucanas come this way?

edit:

OK, I did a bit more research and discovered it is a color and many breeds have it. There is actually a thread on here about it. lol!
My EE Pearl had silver duckwing coloring :) I just really like it lol
I like the gold duckwing on the roosters though lol

Hummm I did not know that. Very good info. I didn't realize some silkie had it and some didn't.
I don't know why some chicks have it and some don't, but it's normal with them :)
When I went to pick out my Blue, I wanted non-vaulted, because she was a month younger than my others and I knew she'd get picked on when I integrated them. And I knew I wouldn't be showing her because she was a hatchery girl.

I'm ready for it to warm up!! I want to fix up outside but my only free time is on the weekends and Its been cold any rainy :/
I need to reconfigure my yard because I want to get my raised beds up and sectioned off, I have meaties coming in March, and 2 turkeys in April.
I'm also fairly certain we are going to try and move this year. Our little house is too little, Lol
And they're going to be tearing up our street in the fall. I'm tired of construction -_-

Back
Top Bottom