Texas BYC Cafe

I lost one of the Delaware chicks of the weekend.
sad.png
I'm not sure why. It was one of smaller chicks. The smallest Del too. It was drinking but not eating unless it could get something from the mouth of another chick. Really odd. I tried giving it honey water but in the end it didn't help.

It was a horrible roller coaster day for me. It got better then worse all day long. The poor chick finally died in my hands around 9pm. 4 days old only. Boy do you get attached to these little buggers quick. I was crushed!

I'm here. And my boy Charlie is turning 1 yr old this Sat. And moreover, Mom and Boy will both be in Austin by Apr 15 ... for tax itemization of course. Here is Charlie Boy with his b-day toy

PS: what happens to my sister Lisa ???

He is so big!
I haven't heard from Lisa lately :/

We got our first order of meat birds in!
They are loud and skittish and clumsy and I don't think I'll miss them...which is good lol
I have 7 now, 3 for Laurie, 4 for me.
Then 10 more coming in April. Lets hope i don't wimp out! lol

I'm still trying to figure out a chicken coop. I spoke with a guy today to get an estimate and discovered having someone build my coop is expensive!

I did find another idea though and this one saves money. :) I may go with this design. It will give them more room to run around too. I can put it on the side of my garage.

Hey Ms JB, I like that!! The only thing I don't like is the floor of the coop. With it being so close to the ground, you could have rats/mice set up housekeeping under the beams with no way to get to them. I would either raise the floor up and let the chickens under it, or just have a dirt floor for the coop. I would go with a dirt floor, make it easier for you to get inside and if your going to deep litter, it would work better with a dirt floor.

Hey Ms JB, I like that!! The only thing I don't like is the floor of the coop. With it being so close to the ground, you could have rats/mice set up housekeeping under the beams with no way to get to them. I would either raise the floor up and let the chickens under it, or just have a dirt floor for the coop. I would go with a dirt floor, make it easier for you to get inside and if your going to deep litter, it would work better with a dirt floor.

That is a good point. Thanks for pointing that out. I want more ventilation than this one has too so we are working on modifying it some.

My chicks are already trying to roost. One treats the branch like a tight rope and walks down it and they are trying to fly some too! They aren't even 2 weeks old yet. I think I have a batch of over achievers! :p

Hello: Have not been on here in a while. Am trying to find a home for 2 Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons - from Heirloom Orpingtons and 1 Jubilee Orpington Rooster from Papa brooder. I went a little hatch crazy last year- lots of different breeds, etc. So - I have 8 Roosters (oops). Most of the breeds I have are smaller- so my main roosters are a Sicilian Buttercup (head guys) and Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I just got a Barred Holland Rooster but he is still a baby - my daughter is very interested in trying to help the Hollands not go extinct. Other breeds I have - lots of easter eggers, 3 marans, olive eggers, plymouth rocks, barnevelder, lakenvelder- all much smaller than the huge Orpingtons.
I am not looking for any money- if someone could use them to breed them that would be awesome. Let me know if anyone is interested- they really really want to some girlfriends their size:) I am in Katy - outside of Houston and can drive a bit if needed. I can get a picture of the Jubilee if anyone is interested. Have a great evening and thanks for reading. Andrea

Back
Top Bottom