Texas

Delawares have yellow legs, straight comb, and barring

Light Sussex are black and white (no barring) and pinkish white legs.

Light Brahma have the feathered legs and a pea comb

Columbian Wyandotte have no barring on the black feathers, yellow legs and feet and rose combs
I just though that I would add the zillarra varriety of the Euskal Oiloa to this comparision (which is what my wife is intrested in) and mention that the Columbian Plymouth Rocks aslo shares this color.

Last edited:
Hi all, haven't been on BYC much, other than some reading. I am Jim, we are in Dickinson, Tx, near Galveston and Houston. We started about a year ago with the idea of a flock of 3 to 4 hens to supply us eggs. Well, we are a HUGE victim of chicken math. We now breed Seramas, Ameraucanas, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Blue Orpingtons, Splash Orpingtons, Soon, Lavender Orpingtons and Olive Eggers, and have a mix of other birds in our flocks just for eggs. We have two incubators, one that we built, and after switching to a non soy, non GMO feed several months back (Texas natural) have switched to H and H Soy Free/non GMO, and we liked it so much, we are now a retailer of the feed out of our backyard (about an acre) farm! I really liked the idea that the protein comes from fish and animal sources, rather than peanuts! If you are in the area looking for any of the above, look me up, or find Jim's Roost over on FaceBook! See y'all around.

Howdy and
welcome-byc.gif
from Rosenberg, TX!

Lisa :)

Ugh! We had ANOTHER potential predator show up last night. Big dog was out and we woke up at 2:00 to him barking his head off. Husband runs out with the shotgun, but couldn't see the creature. He could hear it running away with big dog in pursuit. Said it didn't sound very big. Made cat-like noises, but didn't think it was a stray cat. We had the skunk problem Sat night. Do skunks make cat like noises? Or maybe we have a bobcat in addition to the skunk that sprayed big dog Sat night... :/ Whatever got our little pullet Fri night completely took the carcass. Never found any evidence of her. No feathers or anything...

What I don't get is that - whatever it is - it keeps going for the juvie chicks in the pen right off our back porch. Nothing is messing with the adult birds that are technically housed out in the open in the goat pen across the pasture... From a predator perspective, the big birds would be so much easier to get to.

Anyways, props to big dog. He proved once again that he is earning his keep.

Hi Jim!

I recently looked at the H&H feed, too. I currently use Texas Naturals (my tag shows fish meal as well as peanuts), but the calcium is low. Mine have free access to oyster shell but they don't seem to eat much of it.

I couldn't read the H&H ingredients for layer pellets on the website. Could you tell me what the calcium % is? I think the chickens would like the mini-pellets, too.

H&H feed is sold locally at several locations.

Ugh! We had ANOTHER potential predator show up last night. Big dog was out and we woke up at 2:00 to him barking his head off. Husband runs out with the shotgun, but couldn't see the creature. He could hear it running away with big dog in pursuit. Said it didn't sound very big. Made cat-like noises, but didn't think it was a stray cat. We had the skunk problem Sat night. Do skunks make cat like noises? Or maybe we have a bobcat in addition to the skunk that sprayed big dog Sat night...
hmm.png
Whatever got our little pullet Fri night completely took the carcass. Never found any evidence of her. No feathers or anything...

What I don't get is that - whatever it is - it keeps going for the juvie chicks in the pen right off our back porch. Nothing is messing with the adult birds that are technically housed out in the open in the goat pen across the pasture... From a predator perspective, the big birds would be so much easier to get to.

Probably once it found an "easy" meal it didn't look anywhere else.

Can you get a wildlife camera? They are pretty reasonable price-wise now.

Ugh! We had ANOTHER potential predator show up last night. Big dog was out and we woke up at 2:00 to him barking his head off. Husband runs out with the shotgun, but couldn't see the creature. He could hear it running away with big dog in pursuit. Said it didn't sound very big. Made cat-like noises, but didn't think it was a stray cat. We had the skunk problem Sat night. Do skunks make cat like noises? Or maybe we have a bobcat in addition to the skunk that sprayed big dog Sat night...
hmm.png
Whatever got our little pullet Fri night completely took the carcass. Never found any evidence of her. No feathers or anything...

raccoon...ugh! hate them!

I wondered if maybe it was a raccoon! I just kept thinking skunk because big dog definitely got sprayed by one Sat night. I think we do need a wildlife cam. Though that may show me way more than I want to know. It's probably like a 3 ring circus outside my house at night...

It also doesn't help that we often wake up during deer season to people spotlighting (and sometimes shooting) across our pasture. We had a spotlighter last night too - after the predator incident. They're getting started early this year. Wonder if a game camera would capture license plates?...

A good quality game camera would capture license plates. We've used them at work to catch people dumping. It just needs to be set up to get a clear shot, and not too far away.

I wondered if maybe it was a raccoon! I just kept thinking skunk because big dog definitely got sprayed by one Sat night. I think we do need a wildlife cam. Though that may show me way more than I want to know. It's probably like a 3 ring circus outside my house at night...

It also doesn't help that we often wake up during deer season to people spotlighting (and sometimes shooting) across our pasture. We had a spotlighter last night too - after the predator incident. They're getting started early this year. Wonder if a game camera would capture license plates?...

Did you notify the sheriff re. the spotlighter? Most hunters are responsible, it's the idiots I worry about!

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom