Texas

Just checked my yard at 7pm. Out of 20 chicks in my brooder cage with lamp, 4 didn't make it. These are 2-3 mo. Orientals which doesn't have much feathers. Poor babies , still 1 more night of freezing !

Last edited:
I know there are some horsey people here and I wanted to share my photo of our 36 year old horse, Black. We were told he was a cutting horse and he was very light in the rein. He used to be coal black, now his face is more gray than black. He is a good boy and we don't mind him being a retired hay burner. :)

He looks in really good condition. It is so hard to keep old horses--their teeth wear out or they end up with Cushings. He looks fanstastic.

Just checked my yard at 7pm. Out of 20 chicks in my brooder cage with lamp, 4 didn't make it. These are 2-3 mo. Orientals which doesn't have much feathers. Poor babies , still 1 more night of freezing !
That's too bad. At least you know that the ones that survive are your hardiest ones for any breeding you might use them for.

Good Morning Fellow Texans!

Tammy that is a beautiful horse. You tickled me about your husband and the cow. I would hope with the 'trouble' the cow is giving you, that you can keep it.

Hung, I am so sorry about the lost of your chicks.

Ya'll have a great day!

Lisa :)

Ms. Jellybean this is for you to dream on:

h09169D9A

Lisa :)

That's too bad. At least you know that the ones that survive are your hardiest ones for any breeding you might use them for.

Not necessarily. They just might be the ones who ended up on top of the pile of freezing chicks, not at the bottom suffocating.

Hung - Twelve weeks old and the cold killed them? I did not put a heat lamp on my 14 week olds last night. Now I am so worried! They are not yet on a roost so they cuddle together....hoping they are okay. They are still in the hoop-coop.

I did put the heat lamp on the big chickens because the big coop is drafty.

Not necessarily. They just might be the ones who ended up on top of the pile of freezing chicks, not at the bottom suffocating.
In that scenario, they would most likely still be the ones with better vigor because they jostled around until they were on top of the group, rather than allowing other chicks to stomp/lay on top of them. Chickens with good vigor are not the ones that let the other chickens push them around, or in a case like this, down to the bottom of the pile. I've never seen the largest, hardiest, most vigorous chickens allow themselves to stay at the bottom of a pile of birds huddling together or on the bottom rung of a roost. The more vigorous birds usually come off as being the bullies in the group.

Back
Top Bottom