Texas

This is the prototype for my new coop, 8x12, not including the roost area. The part that hangs off the left is where the roosts will be. The lattice work at the bottom will be lined with hardware cloth on the inside and hung on hinges to provide ventilation and easy poo clean out but also keep vermin out. I have a similar (but smaller) design now only with a shed style roof that goes from the front and slopes back toward the roosts.

It is a little fancy compared to what I have now, but my current coop is almost 18 years old and only holds about 40 comfortably. This Spring I want to hatch some Olive Eggers which will put my count around 50.

This is the prototype for my new coop, 8x12, not including the roost area. The part that hangs off the left is where the roosts will be. The lattice work at the bottom will be lined with hardware cloth on the inside and hung on hinges to provide ventilation and easy poo clean out but also keep vermin out. I have a similar (but smaller) design now only with a shed style roof that goes from the front and slopes back toward the roosts.

It is a little fancy compared to what I have now, but my current coop is almost 18 years old and only holds about 40 comfortably. This Spring I want to hatch some Olive Eggers which will put my count around 50.
beeauutiful!!

Quote:
goodpost.gif

That looks wonderful!

It has been a long time since I've had 50 or even 20 chickens, but I want to start selling eggs again and I think it would look better to have a decent coop. Besides, I'm 50+ and with care and luck this will be the last coop we build...maybe. :D CHICKEN MATH!

I really like this type of design because the poop goes onto the ground and only has to be shoveled up twice a year. In the coop I have now it has a dirt floor so I have 6-8 inches of cedar shavings on the bottom, but it still allows snakes and rodents in. I am hoping this new coop will cut down on, especially, snakes...although this past summer we didn't have many snakes.

Does anyone have solar panels on their coop? I was thinking about having my husband rig up some kind of solar power in the coop but neither of us have experience doing that.

Hung - this is sang to the chorus of "Home Home on the Range"...

~~Hung, Hung on the range. Where the deer and the Orientals roam. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, and the Silkies are clowning all day!~~

Please take lots of photos to share when you return!

PS: For anyone who didn't know, Hung loves Vietnam Oriental breed chickens...although I don't think he really has Silkies!

It has been a long time since I've had 50 or even 20 chickens, but I want to start selling eggs again and I think it would look better to have a decent coop. Besides, I'm 50+ and with care and luck this will be the last coop we build...maybe. :D CHICKEN MATH!

I really like this type of design because the poop goes onto the ground and only has to be shoveled up twice a year. In the coop I have now it has a dirt floor so I have 6-8 inches of cedar shavings on the bottom, but it still allows snakes and rodents in. I am hoping this new coop will cut down on, especially, snakes...although this past summer we didn't have many snakes.

Does anyone have solar panels on their coop? I was thinking about having my husband rig up some kind of solar power in the coop but neither of us have experience doing that.
If you have any inkling of electrical stuff, solar stuff is pretty easy. And a lot these days is just "plug and play" if you can afford it, otherwise to go a little more cheaply, you need to have some understanding of electricity to rig stuff together that wasn't meant to just plug into stuff. If you need ideas and such, Mother Earth News is a good resource for solar ideas and help. Was there something in particular that you were having an idea/problem with when thinking about solar panels?

Hung - this is sang to the chorus of "Home Home on the Range"...

~~Hung, Hung on the range. Where the deer and the Orientals roam. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, and the Silkies are clowning all day!~~

Please take lots of photos to share when you return!

PS: For anyone who didn't know, Hung loves Vietnam Oriental breed chickens...although I don't think he really has Silkies!

You are so punny!!

Hmmm, do you think Hung will make it thru Customs coming back????
wink.png

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom