Texas

Quote:
We did manage to get a half inch on both Fri & Sat from Don in Matagorda. Still bone dry in Rosehill. Im working on the fall garden and will have to water every other day.

Would anyone mind if I asked what you plant in your fall garden? I would like to start on this year. I always plant a spring garden but don't know what will do well here for fall!

Planting winter squash, green onions soon and will plant carrots and red taters in a few weeks.

Here are a couple of good links on gardening.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/fallgarden/falldirect.html

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/

Quote:
Would anyone mind if I asked what you plant in your fall garden? I would like to start on this year. I always plant a spring garden but don't know what will do well here for fall!

Believe it or not, this is the time to plant broccoli. But shade it!

I will be planting broccoli, tomatoes, Oriental cabbage, garlic, spinach, oriental radishes (the big ones), new potatoes, and maybe a few other things. I haven't grown carrots in years but I might plant a few of those too. Most things really do better in the fall than in the spring, like carrots. And cabbages are impossible in the spring here because it just gets too hot too fast so they never head up.

Don't plant really long season things like pumpkins or corn that need warm weather when they mature but almost everything else is fair game and broccoli in particular is fantastic as a fall veggie here. More than once, I've gone out and harvested frost kissed broccoli at Christmastime. (we get our average first frost in mid December)

Ok, thank you!

Yesterday my 4 little bantam hens gave us our first 4-egg day ever! Plus we got 2 on Friday. I guess the heat isn't a problem for them...although I wouldn't be surprised if they start laying hard-boiled eggs soon. The heat and humidity is definitely high enough for that to happen!

Quote:
I know what you mean. It was 110 in the shade a couple of days ago, I picked up 2 from our nest box and couldn't believe how warm they were!

Last edited:
Quote:
frow.gif

I have been looking for some nice breeders with pure breeds in this great state of ours. I really am happy to find a thread about Texas and hope to meet a few local people here and talk chickens. I went on the funky coop tour here in Austin and had a blast talking with everyone. It has been quite and adventure according to everyone I have had the pleasure of speaking with and I can't wait to share in the fun.

Quote:
Congratulations... I know it must be sooooo exciting
smile.png

I have 4 silkies and just had my first and only 4 egg day a couple of weeks ago... I guess this weather isn't having much effect on my girl's laying!

I was pondering today... (dangerous that)

Are their regular sales still going on that have poultry?

When I was a kid when we wanted something that was just an excuse to go to the Canton First Monday Trade Days. We bought chickens, ducks, geese, quail, pigeons, pheasants, chuckar, doves, ferrets, rabbits, guineas, etc. at Canton.

Have the modern requirements for testing and health certificates basically killed those opportunities or do they still happen? regularly?

Regards,

-Scott

Back
Top Bottom