Texas

That is done. She will have a great home. 24 acres to run on, 12 or more chickens to play with and a full grown German Shepard to teach and guide her thru life. We will give her the bst home we possibly can, better if my wife has anything to do with it, and she will!!

Shoot, adopt me too, lol!!

So last night I went to close up my girls in the coop and found a 6 ft TX rat snake snuggled up in the nesting box!!! We took him out and that was over... I thought!! This morning my sweet broody mamma hen, who was about to hatch a HUGE clutch of 19, got off her nest and started eating. They should have hatched last weekend but I was letting her take care of things. I looked in to see some hatchlings and NOTHING was in there!!!!
I am in disbelief!!! She has been sitting constantly for 4 days and now I'm wondering if she had been sitting on that snake?!?!?! All the while it was gobbling up her babies? I can't believe it!!
A few times I thought about reaching in and making her get out, now I don't know if I would have been bitten by a snake or maybe I could have saved some of the chicks......ahhhhh!!!! Not knowing is making me CRAZY!!
Here is a pic of me feeding her fermented feed while she was sitting, I'm so sad :,,,(

One of my mother's chores on the farm was gathering eggs every day from Grandmother's flock of about 50. Mom used to tell me NOTHING was worse than reaching under a setting hen and finding a big, old black snake all curled up sucking eggs! She HATED it!! LOL! Yes I guess the hens will 'set' on the snake and never know any different.

Sorry about your babies! :(

So last night I went to close up my girls in the coop and found a 6 ft TX rat snake snuggled up in the nesting box!!! We took him out and that was over... I thought!! This morning my sweet broody mamma hen, who was about to hatch a HUGE clutch of 19, got off her nest and started eating. They should have hatched last weekend but I was letting her take care of things. I looked in to see some hatchlings and NOTHING was in there!!!!
I am in disbelief!!! She has been sitting constantly for 4 days and now I'm wondering if she had been sitting on that snake?!?!?! All the while it was gobbling up her babies? I can't believe it!!
A few times I thought about reaching in and making her get out, now I don't know if I would have been bitten by a snake or maybe I could have saved some of the chicks......ahhhhh!!!! Not knowing is making me CRAZY!!
Here is a pic of me feeding her fermented feed while she was sitting, I'm so sad :,,,(

Wow. How the heck did a snake that big get in the henhouse?

It is that time of year again....chicken snakes will be on the prowl (Texas Rat Snake)...do not leave eggs in the nest if they are not viable...just asking for attention...I had 14 chickens snakes in and around my coops last year...if there is a way in...the will find it...I heard a commotion one night...ran out and opened the roost house...there was my rooster on the floor with a 5 foot chicken snake wrapped all around him...he looked at me as if to say...HEY I COULD USE A LITTLE HELP HERE...lol...I poked the snake until he let my roo go...then I poked him some more until he exited the coop...then I did a cool machete trick on him.

Oh my...What a fascinating specimen! I take it she's NOT supposed to look like that? What happened?

- TieDyeMommy

She's 'suppose' to be a frizzled cochin but I'm 99.9% sure she's a frazzle, which basically means her feathers are fragile and the slightest thing makes them break. She took an entire year to lay her first egg but she does give us 5 or so small eggs a week so I'm torn on what to do with her!
Poor thing! Lol..I 've heard that frizzles/frazzles' feathers are SUPER fragile.
Awww...her little bald head
hugs.gif

I only have one that I would put on a list...if I had enough to need list. Lol
I only have 7, and one's a roo so he has to go anyway. But he's a Silkie..not enough of a bird to do anything with...lol
He's not crowing yet though, at 12 weeks, so he has a little longer.
Maybe he's just a really masculine female?
wink.png

He has a comb and dangly waddles where my white silkie has zip
I think if her head wasn't so bald she might be a little easier to look at but her wing 'feathers' or lack there of, are like needles!

Oh dear, someone is getting majorly bullied by the other hens to look like that. Maybe a little alone time with a less dominant hen or 2 will help her.
She's not getting picked on at all. She does seem a little more bald on top since we got our cockerel but she's always been thin on her head and her wings have always looked like that. Its weird because her back end is almost fluffy... She FLIPS out at the slightest thing, I can't even begin to describe what a complete spaz she is. I've thought about separating her so she can get the errr, 3 fluffy feathery type things, back on her head that the cockerel probably pulled out but when she's around the little guys she turns into a complete bully.

Yes, I think she's a frazzle too. She's 'suppose' to be a frizzle but she's from a hatchery. I actually ordered 5 frizzles last year from Privett and she was the only one we had left after predators. We bought a few assorted bantams from our local TSC this year who also orders from Privett and we have a black frizzle. I'm worried that its a frazzle also because its pretty naked on the back half and feathering really slowly but the feathers it does have seem stronger/better than hers. I also have it in with the turkey poults who are getting extra protein so I'm hoping that might help strengthen his/her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom