Texas

Sorry didn't mean to sound like that. But I have had the Quakers for 2 weeks and you bought the chickens and ducks 2 weeks before that. It's not enough time for any harmful bacteria they might have in their poo to break down and be safe for human consumption. I wouldn't risk it with my children. My chickens appear healthy and clean, but it only takes 1 to contaminate everything. Also, chicken poo is "hot" and can burn plants if added to soon.

you could use the bottles of colored water to show them what happens when something gets shot, and then you could tell them, "And if you fool around with guns, this is what I'll do to you:" and show them some Youtube videos of Gallagher smashing watermelons.
yuckyuck.gif

Well this morning I see that my luck with chickens is going to be on par with the rest of things in my life are. About 6 weeks ago my picked up some chicks at Atwood that she said that they was EE. I said I did not think so but hay why not. Found out after we got home and showed pics on here they where gold sebright bantams so for then next week we went to Atwoods to add to the 2 we had gotten. We ended up with 6 chicks. This morning I am sitting watching them play in the brooder and it hit me out of the 6 I have 5 roosters and 1 hen. Yep my luck is right on par!!!
Bummer :/

Well I get to be Tarzan for today. My parents tree was struck by lightning and I have to climb up to start cutting down the damaged limb. It's being held up by lower branches. I'm the lightest person in my family aside from my daughter and I am NOT letting her up there with a chain saw. Keep your fingers crossed my tree climbing skills are up to the job, I haven't climbed since I injured my back so I am very rusty.

On another note, the ducklings are doing fine. They spent the night in a tote in my bathroom. All toasty warm. I will bring them back to Ebony in a bit, when it is just a little warmer. Ebony did lay an egg this morning, so he isn't broody. But maybe spending time with the littles will awaken her maternal instincts.

Be careful! And take care of that back!

Ok my broody hen's poop is a nasty green and diahrea. Is this normal? Her eggs are covered in poop too.
I know they have special "broody poo" when they're broody...lucky you
wink.png

I don't know if that description fits the bill but a change in habits is normal.
As for the egg mess....maybe she REALLY does NOT want to move?
sickbyc.gif

Sorry didn't mean to sound like that. But I have had the Quakers for 2 weeks and you bought the chickens and ducks 2 weeks before that. It's not enough time for any harmful bacteria they might have in their poo to break down and be safe for human consumption. I wouldn't risk it with my children. My chickens appear healthy and clean, but it only takes 1 to contaminate everything. Also, chicken poo is "hot" and can burn plants if added to soon.
Oh great! Now I read this....I knew chicken poo is "hot" but didn't think about the bacteria part. I just spent half the day yesterday dressing my rows with all the stuff I took out from the flood. I'm hoping that since most of the litter wasn't very old it won't burn up my plants...they look great right now. Nothing is near harvest so maybe I'm ok and all the bugs will die before anything is ready. The really wet stuff is composting behind our barn.

Back
Top Bottom