Texas

It seems lack of ventilation is the primary complaint of this approach.  I will need to cut lots of supplemental holes.  In addition, I plan on cutting and hinging a long rectangle right at the roost level(perhaps on both sides) that can be opened when needed for additional airflow.  Here in West Texas, the wind never really quits blowing, so if I have cross-ventilation, I doubt I will need fans to move the air. 
Question: I currently have 22 chickens (8 23-week olds and 14 6-week olds).  They are free range, and the coop is used only for sleeping (and perhaps terribly inclement weather).  A 200 sq ft run is in place, but like I said, they are allowed to roam all over a 5.5 acre property.  Under those conditions, what square footage should I be aiming for in the coop?  Keeping the inevitable chicken math in mind of course.

The requirement is 2 square feet per bird. If I remember right my coop can hold 52 chickens and I currently have 25 in there. No run, coop is just for sleeping or during terrible days. The coop is squashed between building with no way to move so can't add a run even if I wanted too. During horrible storms I do move the ducks and geese in at night, at least until I can fix the leak problems in their coop. My chickens range in age, this Sunday they will be 8 weeks old up to 17 weeks old. My geese range from 6 weeks to 17 weeks old, and my ducks from 2 weeks to point of lay (don't know age as I got them from someone else who didn't know their age). They all fit during storms right now, but not for much longer, lol.

I named them before I even owned them! Is that sad?
yippiechickie.gif

Carly
welcome-byc.gif
from Cut-N-Shoot!!! And no that is not sad, that is great!!!
thumbsup.gif

has anyone seen the thread started by chookschick?
Seems she is selling some really great chickens. She is in Kansas and says she will ship anywhere. What are yall thoughts about shipping that far away?
The thread is Far Sale: rare and unusual pairs, trios and flocks

Back
Top Bottom