Texas

I have 4 19-week olds going to freezer camp this weekend or next I would let you have. Three are EE/BO mix, and one EE/cuckoo Maran mix. I don't know if you are ever in West Texas (I'm in Lubbock) but they're yours if you want them.

I'm not gonna be there anytime soon...
1f625.png
but thanks for the offer. I don't have a drivera license. But thanks!

Look who came home with me today! When we were driving to pick up the cayuga the lady offered us the drake for free because she couldn't find him a home. I couldn't let him be alone so now I have a crested drake. Anyone want him? He isn't a bad fellow and I'm kinda liking the poof but I know I won't be able to breed him due to it. They are pretty calm and chill out quickly thank goodness and I think they are both adorable! it's funny watching my girls try to mount him since he is so much bigger. But so far they have been playing nice. We will have to see how they all behave tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm right outside of the world famous Stephenville. Most of you watching the news have heard about the trial taking place here for the murders of Chris Kyle and chad littlefield. What a mess that has created around the court house. Just glad I don't own a business in the area they have shut down.

We dont raise chickens for profit. We just wanted fresh eggs that we knew the treatment of the animals and no chemical use. However, my girls are laying eggs faster than my little family can eat them. I froze a couple dozen and gave them away to family periodically... Still, they were piling up and I had eggs coming out of my ears. I decided to take a pic of my eggs last night and post them on Facebook for sale. I figured it was a crap shoot and no one would take the bait. Boy was I wrong! Within 15 minutes, I practically had every egg sold, 7 dozen worth. I ended up with a list of folks that want eggs in the future! I also had people offering to buy veggies from my garden. I was shocked to say the least. My wife wasn't too keen on having chickens first but grew to love them. Last night in bed, Ms. Doubtful said, "Baby, maybe we need to get more chickens." lol

We dont raise chickens for profit. We just wanted fresh eggs that we knew the treatment of the animals and no chemical use. However, my girls are laying eggs faster than my little family can eat them. I froze a couple dozen and gave them away to family periodically... Still, they were piling up and I had eggs coming out of my ears. I decided to take a pic of my eggs last night and post them on Facebook for sale. I figured it was a crap shoot and no one would take the bait. Boy was I wrong! Within 15 minutes, I practically had every egg sold, 7 dozen worth. I ended up with a list of folks that want eggs in the future! I also had people offering to buy veggies from my garden. I was shocked to say the least. My wife wasn't too keen on having chickens first but grew to love them. Last night in bed, Ms. Doubtful said, "Baby, maybe we need to get more chickens." lol

My boyfriend has game chickens (40-ish) that I take care of while he works (often out of town weeks at a time). He got an idea to supposedly cut back on his (higher maintenance) & get me into layers, & said he would build me a complex of pens in a "u" shape, with a common yard, etc. We started with 20 chicks last March, & then it was a trio here, several there, until the number had more than doubled. After selling some extras/culls, I ended up with around 40 myself. Last month he says "Hey, what do you think about getting...", so a month ago I got in another 70+ chicks, new varieties (for me). Plus he has hens setting & we're experimenting with the incubator as well, adding to the mix. Oh, & I still only have 4 pens built for mine. We just can't help ourselves :/ When they all get laying age I'll be advertising too, I'm sure. I could probably sell every egg I get now if I wanted.

I sell mine and have never had any problem finding customers. Right now I'm getting 12-15 eggs a day. If you don't mind me asking, how much do all of you charge per dozen? I'm charging $1.75. My geese will start laying soon and I intend on selling some of those eggs but have no clue on what to charge.

Holy Guacamole, Batman !

$1.75/dozen ? Are they organic, or do they free range? If either is true, you should be charging at least $5.00/dozen.

I sell mine and have never had any problem finding customers. Right now I'm getting 12-15 eggs a day. If you don't mind me asking, how much do all of you charge per dozen? I'm charging $1.75. My geese will start laying soon and I intend on selling some of those eggs but have no clue on what to charge.

In my neck of the woods, they go for $2-3/doz or at least that's what people ask for them. I sell mine $3/doz or $4/doz+1/2 & haven't had any trouble at those prices, BUT I haven't sold a whole lot as of yet...I mainly give to family or trade with friends for egg cartons right now. Out of 24 hens, I'm averaging @ least 4-5/day(7 today) but some of mine are just coming of age & some I think (hope) just aren't winter layers. Time will tell.

I specifically looked at egg prices at Walmart today - small town. Normal commercial eggs were going for $2/doz. Eggs listed with things like *natural* and *cage free* were going for a little over $3 up to just shy of $4/doz. *Organic* eggs were running $4-5/doz.

Best idea is to see what eggs are going for in your area. Honestly, you're never going to make much money on eggs unless you run things like a commercial operation. But if you price it right, you can sometimes get a bit of pocket change to help with chicken keeping expenses.

As for goose eggs - you'd probably make more money if you sold the shells for crafting unless you can find a niche market for edible eggs or you price them lower than they really should be.

Back
Top Bottom