Texas

Might need to do a Crockett meet-up.
1f601.png

Hi guys. I'm new to Texas, though not to chickens. I'm moving down to Midland this April to be with my boyfriend, and we just got a house on nine acres. I can't wait to fill it up with chickens, but... I know nothing about the climate out here. I'm from Maine, so I'm used to heavy, hardy chickens, and I don't think that they'd do so well in the heat down here. Is anyone here from West Texas who could give me some pointers as to what breeds work well here?

Also, we have a small pond on the property, so I'm thinking maybe getting a trio of ducks (for both eggs and meat-- both me and the guy love duck!). What are the best options that aren't too hard to find?

Thanks!!

Hi guys. I'm new to Texas, though not to chickens. I'm moving down to Midland this April to be with my boyfriend, and we just got a house on nine acres. I can't wait to fill it up with chickens, but... I know nothing about the climate out here. I'm from Maine, so I'm used to heavy, hardy chickens, and I don't think that they'd do so well in the heat down here. Is anyone here from West Texas who could give me some pointers as to what breeds work well here?

Also, we have a small pond on the property, so I'm thinking maybe getting a trio of ducks (for both eggs and meat-- both me and the guy love duck!). What are the best options that aren't too hard to find?

Thanks!!

Honestly, it is more about your husbandry and acclimating your chickens that is so important, not necessarily the breed that you have. Of course single combed birds are going to have larger combs to help dissipate heat in summer compared to the breeds that have compact combs.

A friend of mine that lives in Maine has a hen (large fowl) that came from my flock and despite coming from several generations that acclimated to Texas weather, that hen was outside in the cold and snow this winter to forage, and she was laying eggs, while her other breeds, some that were supposed to be cold tolerant birds, were not laying and were hiding in the barn to stay warm.

We try to get our birds acclimated to 100+ degree temps in summer without the need for a lot of extra care, because water is a precious commodity in TX because of the drought, and electricity can be easily disrupted, so we don't want our birds dependent on fans or air conditioning. In winter, they get north/west wind protection, but even living in open air coops, they do well.

I would say to not get hung up necessarily on a breed that someone recommends, mainly because there are just too many variables that go into whether or not chickens are hardy and how heat/cold tolerant they are. Husbandry, and some breeding choices, are much larger factors that come into play with chickens. If you get what you like and don't try to baby your chickens so much that they are unable to acclimate to the crazy weather we have in Texas, you'll be happier and so will your poultry.

Back
Top Bottom