Texas

Incuview second hatch final report: Only eleven chicks survived the hatch. All the others were extremely big chicks and died before piping or shortly there after. I feel like the humidity was just too high and the chicks were too big. So I will keep less water in the incubator next round and see what happens. I pulled all the guinea eggs from the nest in the brush pile to put in the incubator but none were developed at all and she has been sitting for two weeks. I guess the 103 degree days got them. So I will just run chicken eggs next go round.
Ed Thomas
Lampasas, Texas
That sucks. I tell you, those humidity gauges always seem to get off somehow.

Hi folks, newbie from the Panhandle here with a question. Any advice regarding keeping my pullets from sleeping in the nesting boxes?

I have a pre-fab coop and run at the moment, which includes space for nesting boxes. I've not had the dividers in until now, and they've always slept all crushed up in the corner of the coop where the boxes would be. But a couple of my girls are really getting red combs and wattles, with quite a bit of growth of both, so today i gave them a higher roost in the middle of the coop and set up the boxes with pine shavings, and even golf balls in each nest area.

Tonight when I went to shut the coop door, there they are, all snuggled up together again, in one of the nest boxes. All four of them. My understanding is that I should discourage them from sleeping in the nest boxes to avoid eventual poop on their eggs. I grabbed each one and put her on the new roost, but I'm pretty sure they'll all be back in the box in the morning. Probably already are.

Can they sleep in one nest and still know the others are to lay in? Is there any way to get them out of the box and up on the roost? Thanks for your help!

--coopmom56

Keep doing what you're doing. Discourage them to the best of your ability.

I am listening the Black Copper Maran Roosters from the house as they are starting to try to crow. It sounds like a strange elephant from the distance. I have a loose zip tie on the quiet large one I want to use as a breeder. There are four more that are either going to find new homes or be delicious.

Hi folks, newbie from the Panhandle here with a question. Any advice regarding keeping my pullets from sleeping in the nesting boxes?

--coopmom56

Hi coopmom. I grew up in Dumas. :)

As for sleeping in the nesting boxes, mine have been doing the same thing. They were born around may 1. I was hoping this was something that they would outgrow, but I'm doubting that now after reading many of the threads about this issue on the forum. I took the advice from countless threads and blocked the nesting boxes. The first night (night before last) they were very confused and flustered. I had to take each one and put them up on the roosting bar. I was prepared to have to do this for a couple of weeks, but they did it on their own last night. I will keep the boxes blocked for a few more weeks to completely break them of going in there to sleep, but I'm hopeful that one night of retraining did the trick

Hi coopmom. I grew up in Dumas.
smile.png

As for sleeping in the nesting boxes, mine have been doing the same thing. They were born around may 1. I was hoping this was something that they would outgrow, but I'm doubting that now after reading many of the threads about this issue on the forum. I took the advice from countless threads and blocked the nesting boxes. The first night (night before last) they were very confused and flustered. I had to take each one and put them up on the roosting bar. I was prepared to have to do this for a couple of weeks, but they did it on their own last night. I will keep the boxes blocked for a few more weeks to completely break them of going in there to sleep, but I'm hopeful that one night of retraining did the trick
Every time I hear the name Dumas, it makes me think of that Old A&W Root beer commercial
0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom