Texas

Hi everyone,
New to BYC, starting my "backyard farm" with quail. My first attempt with poultry excluding the pigeons I showed while a youngster. I'm in Wacko Waco and would love any advice. Thanks

Welcome and good luck with your quail!

I thought I was expecting some chicks in the mail today, so I called my post office first thing this morning....they informed me they were already loaded on a truck for delivery!!!
Turns out they were not mine, mine will be here tomorrow.

Anyone ever actually has a post man deliver your babies?

It's already 1000 degrees here in Houston and I do NOT want my new babies riding around all day in the back of a mail truck.
I went to my post office and spoke the dumb arse people that work there and kindly asked them to call me when they arrive and I would be there in 5 minutes to pick them up.........HA HA...They said if they remember they will call....otherwise they will be loaded on the truck.

I am so mad at these idiots and I don't even know where or to whom to complain.

I never really have had to deal with my post office lil now and I read a million horrible reviews on google about them today. I am not looking forward to my morning visit to argue with some dummies about where my chicks are. Please say a prayer that I do not go postal on them!
lol jk I would never, but I will ...nevermind.

I thought I was expecting some chicks in the mail today, so I called my post office first thing this morning....they informed me they were already loaded on a truck for delivery!!!

It's already 1000 degrees here in Houston and I do NOT want my new babies riding around all day in the back of a mail truck.
I went to my post office and spoke the dumb arse people that work there and kindly asked them to call me when they arrive and I would be there in 5 minutes to pick them up.........HA HA...They said if they remember they will call....otherwise they will be loaded on the truck.

I never really have had to deal with my post office lil now and I read a million horrible reviews on google about them today. I am not looking forward to my morning visit to argue with some dummies about where my chicks are. Please say a prayer that I do not go postal on them!
I live in a very small town but we have a PO. The Postmaster told me that they are required to make a call to the recipient for live poultry IF the shipper puts the number on the outside of the box. I would suggest you ask for a supervisor or someone in charge. That's just rude and ridiculous, sorry customer service to say the least.
fl.gif
you get your babies safely.

Thanks...I did ask to speak to a supervisor.
She was just as dumb and rude as the rest of the workers.

It's horrible how people can be so ugly and nasty.

Next time I order chicks I will be using my mom's address which is in a small town with NORMAL nice people working at the post office.

Last edited:
O...and yes the shipper does have my name and number on the outside of the box clearly labeled TO CALL me!

I hate my post office!

O...and yes the shipper does have my name and number on the outside of the box clearly labeled TO CALL me!

I hate my post office!
What about just showing up at O-dawn-thirty -- and being very excited and saying to everyone --( They probably have the back blocked off -- or some such. In small towns everything is pretty open )-- talk to any/every postal worker you see -- any live body -- and say "I'm here to pick up my chicks...."

Good luck with it.... just thinking maybe you could get ahead of them.

Maybe you could even get their number and call them -- instead of waiting for them to call you. Houston......
th.gif

I almost think I would be such a nuisance that they would be so eager to get rid of me they will happily hand over the chicks. Good luck with it -- Hope that you can report back a happy story and cute chick picts.

Last edited:

I never really have had to deal with my post office lil now and I read a million horrible reviews on google about them today.  I am not looking forward to my morning visit to argue with some dummies about where my chicks are.  Please say a prayer that I do not go postal on them!
My PO always calls. They never send them out for delivery. I have to go pick them up and usually get a call around 6:30 but can't pick them up till they open at 8 or 9. I'm in Round Rock so it's not a small post office by any means. There isn't a lot of poultry that comes through the mail but I know I'm not he only one. So really hope they call you. I did call mine the day before and gave them a heads up, but I could tell this was not their first shipment by any means.

Unfortunately she is dealing with a city post office. My mail lady told me it was best if I picked them up at the post office. I called and talked to the Postmaster and was told they would call when they arrived. They did and were super nice about it.

People and manners don't seem to mix anymore.
hmm.png

I am guessing you ordered from Ideal Poultry out of Cameron, your chicks were there at 6:30 I guarantee you, I live in Santa Fe and I always get a call letting me know my chicks are in. I have been ordering for 2 years from them and without fail get a call right about now to come pick them up, I can believe the rudeness in Houston postal workers though, everything is rushed to meet a schedule. They are supposed to call you from the Post Office. What did you get, I got 25 RIR pullets and 25 Ameracuanas pullets, plus my 5 free of each breed. 2 weeks ago I received 50 Wellsummer/BarnBuider/Cuckoo Marans and 50 (25 each) Barred Rocks and Black Sex Links. Never order the surprise special on a day of a pullet order unless you want a bunch of Roos, learned that thehard way this winter. I have 2 Black Austrolop, 2 Buff Orpington/1 Barred Rock/ and 1 RIR Roosters I have to get rid of. Hope you get your order, if ever in the Fe stop by, I have a bunch of chickens.rg's

Back
Top Bottom