Texas

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know how touchy incubators can be. It sounds like you've covered your bases. Are your eggs getting turned? We use to turn eggs until they went inside the incubator and had trays inside the incubator that turned themselves. I can't recall the brand name and loaned it to my wife's uncle in New Mexico. When he passed away someone got his chickens, incubator, drop pens, show cages, etc. I've just got back into the chickens and trying to make a strain of American Game bantams in the Black Breasted Red variety. Good luck with your next hatching!

We still haven't gotten any rain; although the weather map shows it's raining around us. I swear, sometimes there's a dome over my area.

NickyPick, we finally got 1/2" yesterday. I understand what you are saying about the 'dome'. We have an umbrella over our place. :( We can see the rain coming/pouring on the Spur 10. We get nothing. We go for a drive and the road, one over from us, is standing in water. ARRGH!

Has anyone be had any major problems with illness since all the rain?
I am near the gulf coast and the rain won't stop.
The sand in our coop/ run can't handle it either.
I have a hen that is ill(no idea what she has, could be botulism), and I assume with all the rain I am not the only one that has had this.

I feel for you. We live near McKinney (30 miles north of Dallas) and it's been raining like crazy here. You may want to isolate the sick hen from your others until you know what's going on with her. I always do that if I have one to become ill in hopes of keeping something from spreading.

I found what is to me a new feed today made by Bryant Grain Company out of Aledo, TX. They have a 17% protein feed called Game Developer. Is there anyone familiar with this company and/or experience with their feed?

I was near your hometown last week. We went to Van and picked up 3 pullets. We live just outside of McKinney.
welcome-byc.gif

I have a hen that is ill(no idea what she has, could be botulism), and I assume with all the rain I am not the only one that has had this.
no problems here. I hope she pulls through.

I feel for you. We live near McKinney (30 miles north of Dallas) and it's been raining like crazy here. You may want to isolate the sick hen from your others until you know what's going on with her. I always do that if I have one to become ill in hopes of keeping something from spreading.
X2

I went to check on the chickens around 6:30pm today and they all were in the coop. The rain had stopped but they still wanted nothing to do with it. The ducks were out loving every minute of it. Go figure. I know that I am loving the temperatures.

Yes, I have isolated her. I am in denial right now, because she is paralyzed and unable to walk(you know what the assumption is)
Anyway, it has been 3 days since I found her like this, and it has not improved. It was very sudden, so I was actually hoping it may be botulism (as this would give her more of a chance of survival than the Big M) with all the rain, and she and the others free range.
She is a EE, and I have 3 silkies who were hatched at the house together, so I thought they would be affected first.
Of course they are the ones I hatched before I learned of all the diseases/viruses chickens are susceptible to.
I have vaccinated all that have hatched since then.

I have 3 ten week old pullets started treating for coccidiosis yesterday due to bloody poop. Started 2 days after 1st rains in a looong time. not as serious as your hen, but I feel the dampness reactivated pathogens in the soil.
fl.gif
Good luck with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom