Texas

Klein ISD alumni 4H is usually close to Houston. - Check out Poultry Show Central...
http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Texas.html
Klein show is in December usually. --> December 2nd this year.

It's tough because entries are usually due a month in advance so you need to plan.

Egg shows seem to be at all the Poultry shows, and you can bring eggs on the day of without pre-entering. The shows are great fun. I got a couple of ribbons at the very first Klein show. One for my chicken's egg, and I think the prize was a bag of mealworms.

Oh, Dripping springs is really great too --and the one Brazos Valley Poultry Club - blue bonnet classic is a good show...it's in College Station I think. They are all non-meat bird shows. The fairs and 4H events have meaties exclusively though, it seems. Except for the fancy feathers 4H - and those kids REALLY do a good job with their show - and they help at all the other shows.
Would that mean I would to have to have a child in Klien ISD or been a student myself to enter?

Are all chicken shows around here just for students?

I'm looking for something for my type...you know one with a bunch of gray haired little ladies drinking coffee and chit chatting about their girls??

Are all chicken shows around here just for students?

I'm looking for something for my type...you know one with a bunch of gray haired little ladies drinking coffee and chit chatting about their girls??
Definitely - there are lots of really nice people at the chicken shows -- and yep--- lots of gray hair as well.
And Beaumont fair is just this month or early next month - and though I have never been - I think it is exihibition poultry and not just 4H --

March 2 was the deadline for entries....don't know if there is an egg contest. Anyone from South East Tx have any insights? Have you been?

Last edited:
I thought I read that it's only meat birds though.
I'll double check.
Thanks.
A lot of times when a show goes on at a fair/rodeo, you have to contact a different person for info on the fancier's show portion because the fair usually only handles the 4H/FFA broiler type show. I know for a fact that there is a fancier's show going on in Houston because I'm part of an exhibition group and they put the information up about it and there is also another one later in the year. The contact info for James Strickler that is on the Poultry Show Central site is what you need to find out more about the show. It is an APA show, which means they will judge according to APA guidelines unless they have a pet category, so if you don't have birds that are close to their Standard of Perfection, you may find comments that don't make you very happy if you enter hatchery/non-SOP bred birds in the show.

A lot of times when a show goes on at a fair/rodeo, you have to contact a different person for info on the fancier's show portion because the fair usually only handles the 4H/FFA broiler type show. I know for a fact that there is a fancier's show going on in Houston because I'm part of an exhibition group and they put the information up about it and there is also another one later in the year. The contact info for James Strickler that is on the Poultry Show Central site is what you need to find out more about the show. It is an APA show, which means they will judge according to APA guidelines unless they have a pet category, so if you don't have birds that are close to their Standard of Perfection, you may find comments that don't make you very happy if you enter hatchery/non-SOP bred birds in the show.
where can I find this info?

Poultry Show Central website keeps a list of shows. Just email the contact person listed for the show you're interested in and they will send you the information packet.

Oh Ok..thanks.
Ive looked at the ones close to me and still didn't see anything other than meat birds....(not many close to me)
I assumed they would have all info on "their" websites, I didn't know I'd need to email them.

Thanks again.

Oh Ok..thanks.
Ive looked at the ones close to me and still didn't see anything other than meat birds....(not many close to me)
I assumed they would have all info on "their" websites, I didn't know I'd need to email them.

Thanks again.
Most of the time you won't find the show information just posted online, especially if it is happening at a fair or rodeo type event, because the folks that are in charge of the poultry show are usually different than the people putting on the other activities. Especially when the poultry show is APA/ABA sanctioned, because the folks that are in charge of things will be following APA rules and such and they don't have anything to do with other groups like 4H/FFA. Plus, there is often changes and such to the info, and the folks that do websites don't always want to be having to put new/changing information up about the poultry shows. It's pretty normal to just have folks email the contact person to get an info packet sent to them. They've been trying to get more of the information about show dates and such up on the Poultry Show Central website to make it easier for people to find. Used to be you couldn't find poultry show info hardly anywhere, not even a name to contact. But in our APA groups people have been told they need to start getting the shows listed on that website if they expect more people to start getting involved with exhibiting poultry at shows.

Back
Top Bottom