Texas

Can someone help me please ? I have posted on illnesses and disease and need some responses from people in the south. Please!?

I was given some broilers a few months ago, never have had broilers. Let them run with my flock for a couple of weeks and noticed one of them had lost a lot of weight. Before I knew it they had all died. I assumed it was the breed. My flock free ranges, broilers are big meat birds. I just assumed I did not provide what they needed.

Well.... now one of my Good Rhode islands is following suit. I noticed a couple of days ago that she was limping. Picked her up and she has zero muscle mass on that leg. It's all bone! She's lost a lot of weight.

I have never had a bird illness if any kind. What am I dealing with? Is it going to wipe my whole flock out? How do I treat it? I have chicks upstairs in the brood room. They are separate, but it's attached to the coop. What do I need to do!? Anyone????

Sorry it's a bit late now, but sounds like those birds you brought in brought along something extra. Bio security has become a pretty big deal... You really should have quarantined those new incoming birds away from your flock until you verified that there was nothing wrong with them. I'm sorry I can't help you with a diagnosis and sorry you're having to deal with this. Have you sent any of the dead birds out for necropsy? I would strongly recommend when your RIR girl dies that you refrigerate & do so immediately. Here is the link for the state of TX university veterinarian college necropsy for poultry. https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/tests/necropsy-poultryhatchery/

I hope they find it's something that you can fix/repair/eradicate before you lose your whole flock. Meantime, I'm going to tag the only person on here that I know that may have knowledge to help; @casportpony

Last edited:
Can someone help me please ? I have posted on illnesses and disease and need some responses from people in the south. Please!?

I was given some broilers a few months ago, never have had broilers. Let them run with my flock for a couple of weeks and noticed one of them had lost a lot of weight. Before I knew it they had all died. I assumed it was the breed. My flock free ranges, broilers are big meat birds. I just assumed I did not provide what they needed.

Well.... now one of my Good Rhode islands is following suit. I noticed a couple of days ago that she was limping. Picked her up and she has zero muscle mass on that leg. It's all bone! She's lost a lot of weight.

I have never had a bird illness if any kind. What am I dealing with? Is it going to wipe my whole flock out? How do I treat it? I have chicks upstairs in the brood room. They are separate, but it's attached to the coop. What do I need to do!? Anyone????

Broilers are prone to heart attacks, and they never stop eating. If you have other water fowl mixed in, it could be black head, or new castle. But, I suspect it is probably Merek's.

​Broilers are prone to  heart attacks, and they never stop eating.  If you have other water fowl mixed in, it could be black head, or new castle.  But, I suspect it is probably Merek's.
I have read up....
1f61e.png
this is upsetting!

No water fowl. Only chickens. Can you tell me more about Merks?
Different forms of Marek's Disease: Cutaneous form (skin form): Enlarged reddened feather follicles and white bumps on the skin that form brown crusty scabs. Neural (nerve form): Progressive leg or wing paralysis - a typical leg-paralysis victim will have one leg extended forward and one leg extended back.

Back
Top Bottom