Texas

Hey, I moved to Palestine (pronounced Pal-us-teen), which is about 45 minutes southwest of Tyler, about a year ago. I am originally from SC but moved to TX back in 1999. A looonnggg time ago, when I was a small child, I actually had a one-eyed chicken as a pet. It literally fell off one of those big chicken trucks in the middle of the highway as it was turning into the entrance to a chicken processing plant. My mom, who could never pass up an injured animal, got out and caught her and took her home to let her live with the flock of chickens we already had. Naturally, as a 6 year old, I came up with the best name possible - Popeye. She was the sweetest chicken, would always come up to me and want to be held. Anyway, I wanted chickens for many years but couldn't have them due to HOA deed restrictions when I lived in the Houston area. One of the factors that influenced our move to Palestine was that the City Ordinance allowed keeping chickens in the city limits. So now, I am the proud mama to 7 almost 7 week old chicks that I got from My Pet Chicken, and I couldn't be happier.

I am in North Texas up around the Red River Bonham area. Does anyone have baby peacocks to sell?

I live right outside Helotes/San Antonio area in the country and this is my first time owning chickens. I only have 5 hens and a rooster and they are 11 weeks old. I have mixed breed: 2 gold sexlinks (Crispy & Nugget), 3 bantam Cochins (Ruffles, Lay's, & Scoops), and a black star (or so I was told) named Calypso.

My question is what all can I do to help them survive the heat?!

I went out to see them today and it's 93° & 100% and my poor babies are panting, moving slow, quieter than usual. When they do make noise they sound kinda odd. So I've put electrolytes in their water, gave them a bunch of watermelon that they devoured, I put a few shallow trays with about an inch of water in them and held each one in it so they could be introduced to it. I gave them ice cubes with treats in them, and put ice in their water. I checked on them a bit later and there was no change so I put their feet in water again since they won't go in on their own and tried putting some water on their necks. I also put a hard ice pack thing out cuz I read they could lay by it or stand on it but they won't! It's so frustrating. I was petting them with the ice pack and they seemed to like that. Anyways it's not even June yet and I'm worried. Any ideas!? I have like 5 bottles freezing to put out tomorrow. It's 7pm now so I'm hoping they'll cool off as the temperature does...

Welcome Everyone!!! From Ledbetter, TX

Hi and welcome to the newcomers!

(For some reason I am not being notified of new posts.)
If you figure out the ins and outs of the alert system..let me know! ;)
I think you have to be currently (like within the hour) active in the thread to get an alert....if not you can just check your watched list for updates)

Hi Kiki! With the old system I was sent an e-mail telling me I had a new post on the forums I was watching. Now I am not being notified.

I am looking over everything now, to see if I can figure it out.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I'm new to raising chickens, I only have 3 (2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Dominque).. They are almost 6-7 weeks old.. so far so good. Just wanted to jump into the Texas thread.

Back
Top Bottom