Texas

Watch that closely or go see a doc. Fangs are kind of fragile and they sheath themselves like cats claws. You can make them come out by pressing in the roof of the snakes mouth. It looks like a nice big rat snake which is harmless to people (dont quote me here, i know quite a bit about snakes but im no expert) but those marks on your hand look like fang marks and I think (could be wrong) only venomous snakes have fangs

I was just thinking about you today and saw you posted! Oh no!! It looks like a rat snake. We had a few of those last year, none yet this year but figured they'd be out soon. Still...scary. Keep an eye on it!!
Thanks guys! That's what I thought too - rat snake. Couldn't find any fangs...and I will check again before I throw it to the buzzards. My thinking is that it is more like a paper-cut from ?? the sides of the mouth, and just happened to make that fang pattern because of the roundness of the "Thenar eminence" -- Yep had to google it -- ball of the thumb.
:lau
Have a great day everyone.

Thanks guys! That's what I thought too - rat snake. Couldn't find any fangs...and I will check again before I throw it to the buzzards. My thinking is that it is more like a paper-cut from ?? the sides of the mouth, and just happened to make that fang pattern because of the roundness of the "Thenar eminence" -- Yep had to google it -- ball of the thumb.
Did it hurt?
Like a sting?

Did it hurt?
Like a sting?
Yess, it felt like little teeth biting in. And the gloves have a kind of fabric that they dip in rubber so they don't get soaked when you are gardening -- so the snake went through the glove..... strange huh? I cant see any teeth in that mouth. ETA, the snake must have bit through the fabric that wasn't coated in rubber. (of course).

Yess, it felt like little teeth biting in. And the gloves have a kind of fabric that they dip in rubber so they don't get soaked when you are gardening -- so the snake went through the glove..... strange huh? I cant see any teeth in that mouth.
:bow I would have died.

Why buzzards? Your chicken would probably love to be served up some freshly killed snake treat slices! especially the tail I would cut that one a little longer to enjoy them all off to the races!

edit- if it was gravid there might even be some goodies inside that are really chicken sized!

We have (had) 6" long brown grass snakes here. When I see a hen with spaghetti, I know what she has. And there is usually a tussle until one gets it ALL the way down. Accidentally killed a skink today. Had 2 chasing the first with the skink for about 30 seconds. Gone.

Funniest thing to me, nothing but a 1/2" left, another hen grabs it and runs. Out comes the snake with the first one wondering what happened.

We have (had) 6" long brown grass snakes here. When I see a hen with spaghetti, I know what she has. And there is usually a tussle until one gets it ALL the way down. Accidentally killed a skink today. Had 2 chasing the first with the skink for about 30 seconds. Gone.

Funniest thing to me, nothing but a 1/2" left, another hen grabs it and runs. Out comes the snake with the first one wondering what happened.
Yes sometimes I oops and kill anoles or house geckos when opening shed doors, the chicken always oblige and dispose of them humanely for me. Plus keep away games make me forgot my bad feelings for the oops.

Back
Top Bottom