Texas

No google needed, education is *way* over rated.
Can we agree that it was within my lifetime? Since you are still so young :plbb, call it since the Mercury Missions?
We didn't have central AC nor window units until I was maybe 12 years old or close. We lived in New Orleans and it wasn't bad, that I remember. But back then (not saying exactly when) everyone left their windows open and we all had 'attic fans', which are now called whole house fans, and they would have you grabbing for a quilt in July. If it got way bad, my mom would wet sheets down and hang them in the doorways so the draft would pass through them and then you most certainly would get cool. :old

Allen..you don't run your air conditioning at 80F?
What?!?!?

Nasty ugly rain here in Houston too.
View attachment 1270586
No reason to run it we have the windows open at night to trap in the 70 degree cool and the house doesn't heat up until 90 and full sun during the day. Plus the humidity drops from 90% to 50-60% during the day here for us(cause we don't live in a swamp). We usually don't need to run the AC until late April around here when the night temps refuse to go under 75 degrees. Also we get good cross breezes heck there are wind farms within sight 2ish miles north of us. We get those on shore breezes.

I'm not too familiar what no humidity feels like...it's hard for me to grasp.
:confused:
I still think it is beyond nuts that a lot of people who live up north don't even own/have air conditioning.
Well when you are running your AC indoors naturally the cooling coils condense the water in the air and you have to keep that line running or you will flood the house. So naturally you know what low humidity feels like as your AC is drying your inside air!

I think it was invented in the 1850's or so using the phase change properties of ammonia. Converting it to a gas to cool it under low pressure then compressing and cooling it under higher pressures. It was how people kept ice in their ice boxes. It was well suited to mechanical processes for them in that era. As far as all the other questions dunno don't care, but if there isn't an AC I ain't buying that car, besides it is a safety feature for defrosting/removing condensation on the windshield. Can't believe when I orderd my Jeep last year it wasn't standard equipment in 2017.

Allen, don't be silly. Air is dry and water is wet.

When you stop to think, we call it "air CONDTIONING" and not air "cooling". How do you condition the air? You remove the water and that allows your sweat to work better. Air has a low specific heat versus water that has a high specific heat. It would be much more efficient to cool water and spray it through the house. The couch would be cooler, but wetter.

I like the old architecture that worked with nature to keep you cool. High ceilings (that cost a lot to air condition) to allow the heat to rise. Large windows to capture any breeze (that are energy inefficient to air condition). Attic fans. Swimming holes.

I thought it weird that you would "sweep" the yard in the early part of the last century. Only the bad part of town allowed grass to grow in their yard. Couldn't figure this one out. THEN I got chickens. Grass is very tasty. Chickens - the original weed whacker. Get rid of chickens and you need a mechanical weed whacker.

Imagine all the complaining when the power goes out. Like the last few hurricanes or floods. We like our modern conveniences.

Allen, don't be silly. Air is dry and water is wet.

When you stop to think, we call it "air CONDTIONING" and not air "cooling". How do you condition the air? You remove the water and that allows your sweat to work better. Air has a low specific heat versus water that has a high specific heat. It would be much more efficient to cool water and spray it through the house. The couch would be cooler, but wetter.

I like the old architecture that worked with nature to keep you cool. High ceilings (that cost a lot to air condition) to allow the heat to rise. Large windows to capture any breeze (that are energy inefficient to air condition). Attic fans. Swimming holes.

I thought it weird that you would "sweep" the yard in the early part of the last century. Only the bad part of town allowed grass to grow in their yard. Couldn't figure this one out. THEN I got chickens. Grass is very tasty. Chickens - the original weed whacker. Get rid of chickens and you need a mechanical weed whacker.

Imagine all the complaining when the power goes out. Like the last few hurricanes or floods. We like our modern conveniences.
Oh seems odd that my AC technician uses a thermometer vs hygrometer then to see how much r-22 he needs to add all while calculating pressure differentials between the high and low side. By your reasoning he should be fired! You spend too much time talking to your chicken!:lau

Last edited:
Just what you need. Make sure that camel won't eat your trees and pineapples first.
Well apparently the citrus can be toxic to the camelids, so we will get to test its IQ if we get it. Pineapples I can cage or keep on the porch. Besides my last one suffered its demise in the yard from a dang raccoon so needs to be closer to the house anyway to give them a chance.

Back
Top Bottom