Texas

Yup when I'm in the mood for fresh pallets I have my route mapped out. Thursday into Friday at the lumber yards 3-5PM seems to be the days they most commonly get tossed.

I haven't been in a building mode lately as I just have tossed up my hands at the mowing part. I'm going to wait until it starts browning before I give it the full mow. More cover for the chicken I imagine.

I acquired lumber from the local tractor store. They have VERY nice shipping pallets. Lots of 1"x4" lumber free for the asking. And like putting lipstick on a pig, a coat of paint does wonders.

Run to the dump and get wire refrigerator shelves for a door and maybe a couple of walls.

Cheap? Redneck? No, environmentally conscience!
Oh I like the refrigerator shelving idea. I see em tossed to the curb often enough here. I think folks must just be sucking the freon out to resale. I'll investigate the junk day piles better in the future.

Hi, I am in search of a drakeling or young drake, yes that's right a drake. I had my young Rouen killed by a snake this morning and I have 10 or more hens. They are too young to support and adult drake, they need a month or two more. Not picky about breed but no pekins. Most of my hens are half runner and a bit on the small side.
There is someone near DFW trying a rehome here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-to-rehome-a-duck-in-dfw.1393864/

FWIW- I know nothing about ducks I just read male so that makes a drake to me.

Ugh, so dang hot and I have outdoor chores to do now that the mosquitoes have quieted down a bit. I know whining of low 100 temperatures seems pretty darn lame to another Texan, but you don't get the humidity we have here. A DFW 100 would be a sweet and welcome relief and I could mow all day in it. But a SPI 100 is a totally different thing. Hey in 4-5 months time you get to complain about the cold while I run to the taco store in shorts and flip flops so it makes us all even. I think I am going to be lazy and phone a friend who does chores for cash for this one.
1594256871523.png

Ugh, so dang hot and I have outdoor chores to do now that the mosquitoes have quieted down a bit. I know whining of low 100 temperatures seems pretty darn lame to another Texan, but you don't get the humidity we have here. A DFW 100 would be a sweet and welcome relief and I could mow all day in it. But a SPI 100 is a totally different thing. Hey in 4-5 months time you get to complain about the cold while I run to the taco store in shorts and flip flops so it makes us all even. I think I am going to be lazy and phone a friend who does chores for cash for this one.
View attachment 2234207
Upcoming Sunday is supposed to be 105, and Monday 106. I hate it... 🥵🥵🥵

View attachment 2234207
So what's your humidity level peaked out at today?

Up here NW side of Denton 56% was today's low & 79% was today's high.
Temp today hit 99° and is currently down to 84° & that heat index has been really painful.

I know what your talking about @AllenK RGV & I'm not trying to detract from it either.

BTW I've got a few pics updated on coop thread... Sadly 2 of the 4 pics I took intentionally for you & @RUNuts won't load after many fails..... I'll try later tomorrow I guess.

So what's your humidity level peaked out at today?

Up here NW side of Denton 56% was today's low & 79% was today's high.
Temp today hit 99° and is currently down to 84° & that heat index has been really painful.

I know what your talking about @AllenK RGV & I'm not trying to detract from it either.

BTW I've got a few pics updated on coop thread... Sadly 2 of the 4 pics I took intentionally for you & @RUNuts won't load after many fails..... I'll try later tomorrow I guess.
Seems like we pretty well maintained 85% all day, nm that is only a since midnight at 12:48. I went for a breakfast BBQ Mexicano Taco today I'm getting back in the saddle with my spicy again! The salsa verde was awesome loads of capsasin coated seeds and viscous.

Revision in progress.

1594273833010.png

1594273663326.png

I have to admit your pictures at https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-batches-of-eggs.1379282/page-5#post-22902163 look a bit too clinical for my taste. Your coop looks more like a surgical suite than how I keep my fowl. Hey if you drop your sucker in the dirt I'll blow it off and you put it back in your mouth kid is my parenting style(was raised in the 60's and 70's). Surprise surprise I had to be dewormed a few times as a kid dang pinworms. I bet @007Sean experienced a similar childhood.

Last edited:
Seems like we pretty well maintained 85% all day, nm that is only a since midnight at 12:48. I went for a breakfast BBQ Mexicano Taco today I'm getting back in the saddle with my spicy again! The salsa verde was awesome loads of capsasin coated seeds and viscous.

Revision in progress.

View attachment 2234592

View attachment 2234590

I have to admit your pictures at https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-batches-of-eggs.1379282/page-5#post-22902163 look a bit too clinical for my taste. Your coop looks more like a surgical suite than how I keep my fowl. Hey if you drop your sucker in the dirt I'll blow it off and you put it back in your mouth kid is my parenting style(was raised in the 60's and 70's). Surprise surprise I had to be dewormed a few times as a kid dang pinworms. I bet @007Sean experienced a similar childhood.

(Smirks) surgical suite ehh? That's kinda oddly funny. Because of how the whole thing started with last April... Dog crates in a back bedroom & then finalize coop design after we had a dozen week-old chicks..... And when I started building the coops frame in the driveway (shade of a tree) a major storm blew our neighbors carport off its foundation & rolled it on top of a propane tank and truck I had a Mcgyver moment & realized I needed to focus entirely on the sub surface rock layer we have as thee anchor! Then look at everything else as a Swiss army knife....

So far it's done just that. Over half dozen storms with 45-60+ mph winds & gusts above those speeds. I have found several errors along the way that have frustrated me as well. It's been a humbling 1st year journey that's "just getting warmed up," for sure.

Hello!

I am dying to add a blue chicken of some sort to my backyard flock. I just love the beautiful gray color. Does anyone have any hatching eggs I could buy to put in my incubator?

Thanks so much!
In about 6 more months I would be able to but my blue sumatra won't be sexually mature until about then. You might consider editing in a general location to your profile as based on where you are in Texas I might have some good ideas to offer up.

Back
Top Bottom