Texas

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the links though I'll be checking them out now.

welcome-byc.gif
to all the BYC newbies!! This is a GREAT site!

I haven't been on in several days because I've been over on BYH researching goats (I got 3 free awhile back) and now have goat fever - even though my flock remains my #1 love
love.gif

My girls have lots of shady areas and lots of water that I've been putting frozen bottles of water in. I've also got one fan blowing in and one fan blowing out (although they do need to be cleaned and they are not as strong as I'd like - I will be buying bigger ones later in the year.). I'm thinking I may have lost the hen for a combination of reasons - the heat and being smothered by a very attentive roo. I've been watching and my roos are very jealous of each other. If one roo (mainly the less dominant one) gets a hen, a more dominant roo comes and mounts her afterwards - this may be just been too much. She was already a good sized bird.

I'm in the process of getting more hens and will be separating my BCMs this weekend to get ready for the upcoming show in September. I've also got to go home tonight and find my NPIP certification. I know it expires sometime in the summer and I need to call and get an appt for the gentleman to come out and recertify us before the show.

Right I plan on showing my BCM cock, 1 Blue copper hen, 2 black Maran pullets, 2 blue pullets and 1 black ameraucana pullet. The BCM cock will get a bath this weekend because he is FILTHY!!!! How in the world does a chicken get sooooo dirty????
rant.gif
and I don't just mean the dirt that they dust bathe in, I mean I think he was rolling in something - YUCK!!

I posted on here last week, then realized that I started a new thread and it didn't make it to the Texas thread at all. So here we go again:

Hi All,

I'm just outside of Paris, TX and looking forward to having a few chickens around. I'm just about 1/2 done (still at about 1/2, since I've had a couple of design changes and additions) with my midsize coop that is being built out of about 80% recycled materials--I'm shooting for 100% on my next one.

Anyway, I'm new to this area, chickens and BYC and looking forward to searching through the plethora of information available here.

Hi All,

I'm just outside of Paris, TX and looking forward to having a few chickens around. I'm just about 1/2 done (still at about 1/2, since I've had a couple of design changes and additions) with my midsize coop that is being built out of about 80% recycled materials--I'm shooting for 100% on my next one.

Anyway, I'm new to this area, chickens and BYC and looking forward to searching through the plethora of information available here.
welcome-byc.gif
I am wanted to build a larger coop in the next few months with recycled materials too. I would love any pics as you have them. Could always use ideas!

Right I plan on showing my BCM cock, 1 Blue copper hen, 2 black Maran pullets, 2 blue pullets and 1 black ameraucana pullet. The BCM cock will get a bath this weekend because he is FILTHY!!!! How in the world does a chicken get sooooo dirty????
rant.gif
and I don't just mean the dirt that they dust bathe in, I mean I think he was rolling in something - YUCK!!
Really?! I didn't know you could give a chicken a bath!
hu.gif

Yup!! It's not the easiest thing to do, but it's doable. I'm mainly concerned with making sure I don't accidentally pulling any feathers out. That's why I want to bathe him this weekend, in case I need to do it the weekend before the show too. For the last show, I only washed my girls' feet, but this guy is filthy all over - so far none of my co-workers are jumping at the chance to come and help
idunno.gif

Yup!! It's not the easiest thing to do, but it's doable. I'm mainly concerned with making sure I don't accidentally pulling any feathers out. That's why I want to bathe him this weekend, in case I need to do it the weekend before the show too. For the last show, I only washed my girls' feet, but this guy is filthy all over - so far none of my co-workers are jumping at the chance to come and help
idunno.gif
LOL - good luck with that! I wouldn't want to bathe my chickens right now for anything. They are staying cool by wallowing in mud I make for them - they like it much better than just dry dirt.

Heyguys n gals, i know many peopler having this prob too but thought id give it a shot. I have one bantam barred rock roo that needs a new home as well as 3 young (12wk) easteregger roos and one mix roo (super friendly letsme 4 yr old carry him around) FREE to good home. Pm me if interested!

LOL - good luck with that!  I wouldn't want to bathe my chickens right now for anything.  They are staying cool by wallowing in mud I make for them - they like it much better than just dry dirt.
what partof north texas r u near? Im near mckinney! I want to get into showing butdont know where to begin:p

what partof north texas r u near? Im near mckinney! I want to get into showing butdont know where to begin:p
We're out in the country near Terrell. Not too far from you. At least I don't think it's that far, but then I'm used to driving all over creation just to go grocery shopping :)

So far I haven't found many shows here in TX besides the one they have in New Braunfels, Bryan/College Station, and some way down in S. TX. I did see one advertised that is going to be in Abilene, I think in Sept.

Someone on another thread posted a link to get a DVD/CD of basically something like "showing chickens for newbies". Haven't had a chance to check it out and see if it would be worth getting.

What kind of chickens are you thinking about showing? We've got Javas.

Back
Top Bottom