Texas

Keep this in mind....
Our pump went out this past summer. It was time-38 years. We had to remove top of wellhouse for repairs
View attachment 2543057
So whatever you build-keep access for repairs in mind. This was something therepair company does not do, so I got the fun (partner is 85 and not allowed on a ladder). He has fallen off ladders 2 times in the last 5 yrs. It was not as hard as I thought. I removed sheets of tin on roof. nails out, slid top off. Replaced with roofing screws, for easier removal next time.
Next time we can help!

One thing I've seen for stand alone faucets in more severe cold areas out in fields and whatnot is a 5 gallon, or bigger, bucket thats insulated, I've seen people use the blue foam board like he was mentioning earlier, my dad always used spray insulation around the edges and top of the bucket, and ive even seen a fiber glass batting version used in emergencies. Then they usually a bracket and stake it to the ground. Idk how effective this method is of course. But it looked far more hardy than what I did to our metal standalones this year with foam. Another thing I've seen done before extreme blizzards is double foam wrapping pipes. But foam pipe insulation is usually not comparable to the stuff they make for walls and especially spray insulation
One key detail I learned from Michigan years. In a sealed container ice will burst out.

So ever since then, helping Grandparents with the lake water well pump system. When it's winterized the spigots were all turned open. The supply hose was completely disconnected from the pump and it was brought into the garage for the winter. The water would freeze in those pipes but, as there was air flow on both sides of the water in the buried pipe it was able to expand as far as needed and thus, never exploded the pipes.

Think of it like this. A bottle of water in the freezer will balloon up if cap it on tight. If cap is off the ice will grow out the top of the bottle and never split the bottle. Well, in the examples I've show the kiddos the vessels never burst. I'm sure someone can figure out a way to use a technicality to show the contrary....

One thing I've seen for stand alone faucets in more severe cold areas out in fields and whatnot is a 5 gallon, or bigger, bucket thats insulated, I've seen people use the blue foam board like he was mentioning earlier, my dad always used spray insulation around the edges and top of the bucket, and ive even seen a fiber glass batting version used in emergencies. Then they usually a bracket and stake it to the ground. Idk how effective this method is of course. But it looked far more hardy than what I did to our metal standalones this year with foam. Another thing I've seen done before extreme blizzards is double foam wrapping pipes. But foam pipe insulation is usually not comparable to the stuff they make for walls and especially spray insulation
Part 2:
I can share a pic of the dense pipe foam I've referred to eariler with sunlight over the next few days. I have a spigots wrapped with the same foam the HVAC lines have.

Update for part 2:
Here's this dense foam pipe wrap.
IMG_20210226_151515636~2.jpg
Close up of the HVAC section
IMG_20210226_151508755~2.jpg
Bigger view
IMG_20210226_151443458~2.jpg
Same stuff showing 2+ years of sunburn via direct South facing in Texas sunlight
IMG_20210226_151436243~2.jpg
This way you can see the cell structure. Yes the spigot is open... There is still water in that pipe behind the fence in the picture too.

Back
Top Bottom