20230604_114612.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230604_105736.jpg
    20230604_105736.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230604_105246.jpg
    20230604_105246.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 5
How do you go about getting the TAHC certification?
https://www.tahc.texas.gov/animal_health/poultry/

Scroll down to the bottom. :) And click on Fowl Registration Form. Once they receive your payment, your local office will call you and set up an appointment to come out. It's normally a week day, but my guy has to go to the livestock auction every Saturday to check paperwork, so since he was in the area and this Tuesday didn't work for me, he came out to check them all.

TAHC is easy. They just walk around and look at your birds. They might ask some general husbandry questions. The first year I got:

1. How many birds ya got?
2. Any sick birds?
3. Any dead birds?
4. Alright, everything looks good.

lol Can't beat that for $35. Haha

P/T testing should involve catching every bird on the place over a certain age and not broody. They prick a vein under the wing and put the blood in the antigen on a testing paper. There hasn't been a positive case in Texas in like a decade or something.

https://www.tahc.texas.gov/animal_health/poultry/

Scroll down to the bottom. :) And click on Fowl Registration Form. Once they receive your payment, your local office will call you and set up an appointment to come out. It's normally a week day, but my guy has to go to the livestock auction every Saturday to check paperwork, so since he was in the area and this Tuesday didn't work for me, he came out to check them all.

TAHC is easy. They just walk around and look at your birds. They might ask some general husbandry questions. The first year I got:

1. How many birds ya got?
2. Any sick birds?
3. Any dead birds?
4. Alright, everything looks good.

lol Can't beat that for $35. Haha

P/T testing should involve catching every bird on the place over a certain age and not broody. They prick a vein under the wing and put the blood in the antigen on a testing paper. There hasn't been a positive case in Texas in like a decade or something.
That actually does sound pretty easy. The only “issue” might be catching all the birds, since there are two flocks: the Pen Hens with Walter the RIR roo, and the Wild Bunch with Rufus the OE young man. (They free range, and give me heart attacks this time of year watching for predators!)
Thanks for including the link! I’ll take a look.

That actually does sound pretty easy. The only “issue” might be catching all the birds, since there are two flocks: the Pen Hens with Walter the RIR roo, and the Wild Bunch with Rufus the OE young man. (They free range, and give me heart attacks this time of year watching for predators!)
Thanks for including the link! I’ll take a look.
I definitely advise locking everyone up. I usually lock them in their runs and toss them into their sections of the barn as I work through them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom