Texas

Is there anyone out there who lives near me? I'm in Pasadena, TX !
I'm in NE Houston. Not too far
smile.png

It can be hard to get them to go broody. I put mine in a pretty small square dog kennel with a nesting box and put eggs in it. Mine usually get bored and sit on them and then get attached to them.
. I've got a broody hen that I am trying to make stop. She has 15 eggs under her now. A few days ago I marked all of them and have been removing any new ones. Going to let her keep the last 4 or 5 to raise. She started sitting on a fake egg first.

We have been hatching a few Olive Eggers from my lavender Ameraucana roo and Blue Copper Marans that are gorgeous. I have a 6 week old blue roo from these two if anyone wants it, let me know.
Just picked up a dozen chipmunk looking EEs to add to my layers. A feed store close to us still has a good selection of chicks (Ideal Poultry) for sale. Most of the other ones in Houston have stopped getting chicks until spring.
My Smith pure black Ameraucana roo is just starting to crow and breed with my Blehm pure black hen and my Shaffer/Ribbeck lavender hen and I actually got an egg two days ago so maybe I'll get chicks from them soon.

Amazing how many Texans there are on BYC. I used to keep count, but there are too many now to even think about trying anymore.

If you want to meet your fellow Texans and see some great coops, come to the 5th Annual Funky Chicken Coop Tour on March 30, 2013 in Austin.

Our fearless leader Nifty-Chicken aka Rob Ludlow will be at the information center, so you can meet him too!

If you live in Austin and want to apply for your coop to be on the tour, there is only ONE month left until the application deadline of Januray 18, 2013. There is a new on-line application process, so it is easier than ever to get the ball rolling.

Speaking of rolling, a bicycle tour of the coops is also being organized this year. Save some gas, and tour de Funky Chicken on two wheels !

Back
Top Bottom