Texas

What I did was buy the large cheap HEB brand ACV, then one small bottle of Bragg's. Poured the Bragg's evenly to the three containers of HEB ACV and let it sit for a week. When they all had a good amount of "mother", I would start using one, buy another cheap bottle put some into that and just keep it going. I feed down near my "green house" but water up near my house, so I have 1 bottle at each location with 2 getting ready at all times.

Scratch is the easiest to ferment, I use that fermented water over and over, just adding more scratch because I can keep the water over the top of that. However, on my feed, since I don't use the dual bucket method, I can not keep the water over the top of the feed, so I just make 2-3 days worth going in each one but staggered. then when it runs out, I clean the trash cans out real well and get the next batch going. I use more ACV doing it this way, but I don't have to worry so much about botulism (sp?).

after reading some of the fermented feed thread I am thinking I may go with a big trash can.. use 50 pounds of feed in each one and refill when I get to the bottom

Yep, I keep mine in our green house (it is not used for anything else, so might as well, LOL) and it stays pretty warm in there. Some people put it in their house. Were I live this winter it never really got cold so I think I could have just left it outside (if my dogs weren't such an issue) and it would have been fine.

i'll keep that in mind.. thanks!

The unfiltered, unpastuerized Heinz ACV is pretty new - maybe 4 months or so. The label actually says "New" on it, since all they've ever had normally is the regular stuff. Looks very similar to the regular bottles though, so you have to look. But it's a couple bucks cheaper/bottle than the Braggs.

When I buy it, I buy a bunch, since it is very popular and the shelves are often bare most of the month, so gotta get it while they have it. I think there must be other chicken people that go to the same grocery stores that I do. :)

The cashiers always think I'm weird buying tons of ACV and kale.

Cool.. thanks for the info.. I'll check for it and hopefully it's in stock around here

Quote:
I would start small at first, don't want to waste a whole bag, LOL! I did too much the first time and ended up tossing almost half a bag, broke my heart! Of course depending on how many you have 50 pounds might just be 2 days worth
lau.gif

I would start small at first, don't want to waste a whole bag, LOL! I did too much the first time and ended up tossing almost half a bag, broke my heart! Of course depending on how many you have 50 pounds might just be 2 days worth
lau.gif
lol.. we have a lot of birds.. I also read on the fermented feed thread where Kassaundra ferments 50 pounds of feed at a time.. from what she said it usually takes a month for her birds to eat it. Apparently it's like sourdough starter and doesn't "go bad" if it's stirred up a bit every day

Yep a lot do, but I had one scare and that was enough to make me error on the side of caution. I might get bolder the more I do it. I am totally comfortable with the scratch it is just the layer feed that tends to freak me out a bit.
lol.. I used to have several cultures going in the house all the time.. kefir, yogurts, sourdoughs.. even kombucha.. so it doesn't worry me much
I only cut back on them because my husband ended up getting deployed again.. and I just couldn't eat that much!

for the baby chicks and reducing their heat, mine just hit a week and am starting to keep their brooder between 80-85. at what point do they not need light anymore for heat anyway. I think i read somewhere that once you get them to 70 they are good, but cant seem to find where or when i read this.

Back
Top Bottom