Texas

I checked on him a minute ago. It appears he got some more shell open but now I don't see any type of movement at all, whereas before I could see the tip of his beak working at the shell. I'm, in all honesty, terrified to mess with him at all for fear I will cause him to die somehow.

i would pull the egg out and tap on it.. see if it peeps or moves around to let me know if anyone is still alive in there...

but I'm like that .. lol

start out DRY. If you can see into the eggs candle them before you start incubation and mark the air cells.. if you can not see through the shells with a bright LED light then weigh them

As time goes by (about once a week) candle the eggs or re-weigh them to check for air cell growth /weight loss.. then adjust the humidity if the eggs require it..

Do not follow some cookie cutter idea of what the humidity should be since hygrometers can be inacurate and humidity needs can vary ( shell porosity and the relative humidity in YOUR home). .. let the eggs tell you what they need

Are the numbers listed on the diagrams for the size of the air cell on that day?

Quote:
the numbers indicate the day of incubation.. so for chickens.. candle day 1, 7, 14 and 19.. and the solid lines across the egg below that number indicated where the bottom of the air cell should be on that day

so on day 1 only the tiny spot at the top should be the air cell.. day 1 would also in this case be the day of setting the eggs into the incubator (note: air cells may be larger in shipped eggs because they are not "fresh" from the bird)
day 7 the air cell should have grown to the next solid line that goes across the egg and so on

so my 1st shipped egg hatch went well below my expectations!
out of a dz each of american games and sumatra i have so far today 1 am game and 4 sumatras!
gunna do a quick eval of my stats in the bator and possibly kill the turner after a few days! we had such a better hatch rate when we didnt have the turner! why would that be?
i have a dz of my yard eggs set on saturday so i will see how those go... kinda bummed now!

out of a dz each of american games and sumatra i have so far today 1 am game and 4 sumatras!
gunna do a quick eval of my stats in the bator and possibly kill the turner after a few days! we had such a better hatch rate when we didnt have the turner! why would that be?
i have a dz of my yard eggs set on saturday so i will see how those go... kinda bummed now!

the turner motor adds heat to the LG... so they very well could have gotten a bit too hot

edited to add.. I see they were shipped.. you just never know what happens to eggs in route... rough handling can drastically lower hatch rates

Last edited:
Sorry you had a low hatch. I wouldn't expect better than 50% hatch rate with shipped eggs from what I've read and my one experience with them. I wouldn't stop using the turner, I doubt if that is it.

i would pull the egg out and tap on it.. see if it peeps or moves around to let me know if anyone is still alive in there...

but I'm like that .. lol

I had my husband pull him out and sadly I should have done something for him sooner so my sweet husband buried him for me. The rest appear to be doing well but i will definitely keep a closer eye on them. :(

I'm just getting into chickens. I had 6 hens (3 production reds, 3 barred rocks) fall into my lap. After a crash course in adult chicken care, I've been enjoying getting eggs (3-6) from them everyday, and sharing with friends and family.

For personal pleasure (mostly to watch my niece and nephew flip out), I would like to add an (...or maybe a couple) Americauna/Easter Egger to my group for that random egg of a different color.

Does anyone have, or know where I can find a laying hen(s)? I'm in San Marcos, and would love to find somebody nearby.
Please PM me if you have one (or a couple) you would be willing to sell.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom