Texas

I don't have any puppies but I do have a great pyreenes and a a half pryeenes and half Anatolian sheppard ..they are life savers literally love them with my chickens...u do need to realize that they will have to get over 1 yr before they will be good for what u want...the younger ones will chase and play with your chickens ...and when a100# puppy plays with a chicken usually the chicken doesn't come out so well...it has been my experience u have to monitor them with the chickens until they are over a year .the good news is the dogs are nocturnal and if you pen them in the day and let them out at night u will get almost as much protection and no problems they wont bother the chickens on the roost..

We have a boerboel (south African version of a mastiff) that behaves a lot like you describe here. The breed is not touted as a livestock guardian breed, but rather as the "most protective, non aggressive" guardian of the homestead breed. We live terribly far out in the country and needed a homestead protector, which is why we chose this breed. During his first year and a half of life, he caused the unfortunate demise of several chickens and ducks. But we finally figured out the trick to using him, which is just as you describe. We pen him up in our shop during the day (while our trusty old boxer stays outside to guard the place and the animals), and let him out at night. When he's out during the day, he will chase chickens until my throat hurts from yelling at him. (He also chases the goats since he has a weird "crush" on our mama goat - though that is a subject for another day...) But at night, he will sleep literally surrounded by the chickens, geese, and goats. He won't bother them then. And even though he harasses the snot out of them during the day (if we're home), the other animals just seem to know that he will protect them at night. The only predator losses I've ever had with my birds have been on random nights that we didn't put him outside. At 2.5 yrs old he weighs abt 180lbs. But he's not really a roamer (though he will follow us all over if we let him) and he doesn't have all the long hair of the other LGD breeds (bonus!)... He is a hard-headed, slobbery thing, but we love him.

We have a boerboel (south African version of a mastiff) that behaves a lot like you describe here. The breed is not touted as a livestock guardian breed, but rather as the "most protective, non aggressive" guardian of the homestead breed. We live terribly far out in the country and needed a homestead protector, which is why we chose this breed. During his first year and a half of life, he caused the unfortunate demise of several chickens and ducks. But we finally figured out the trick to using him, which is just as you describe. We pen him up in our shop during the day (while our trusty old boxer stays outside to guard the place and the animals), and let him out at night. When he's out during the day, he will chase chickens until my throat hurts from yelling at him. (He also chases the goats since he has a weird "crush" on our mama goat - though that is a subject for another day...) But at night, he will sleep literally surrounded by the chickens, geese, and goats. He won't bother them then. And even though he harasses the snot out of them during the day (if we're home), the other animals just seem to know that he will protect them at night. The only predator losses I've ever had with my birds have been on random nights that we didn't put him outside. At 2.5 yrs old he weighs abt 180lbs. But he's not really a roamer (though he will follow us all over if we let him) and he doesn't have all the long hair of the other LGD breeds (bonus!)... He is a hard-headed, slobbery thing, but we love him.
We have a Fila Braseilero, (Brazilian Mastiff) and they are known for the same things. She will eat any animal that doesn't outrun her, but she is super protective and makes me feel safe.

Anyone else feeling the Autumn warm & fuzzies coming on? Mom and Pop bought me four small pie pumpkins, so I cooked those suckers up and pureed them. Today, I got the ingredients and made some tasty treats!

And as you know, my ultimate goal is to make you all very hungry, hehe!
Yep - was cool enough to turn on the oven and not die from the heat - roasted one of the cockerels we butchered last week and made some cookies.

We have a Fila Braseilero, (Brazilian Mastiff) and they are known for the same things.  She will eat any animal that doesn't outrun her, but she is super protective and makes me feel safe.

Ooohh - I've never heard of those, but just looked it up. VERY pretty and it does sound a lot like ours. Very cool! You gotta love a big, intimidating, hard-working dog!

Driving 37 south tomorrow to corpus. Does anyone that way welsummer eggs?

Hey, if you have time, head over to Port Aransas early in the morning and buy some fresh shrimp from the Pollyanna. She docks at the city park harbor and she sells right off the ship. She only fishes for deep water shrimp over 300 feet deep. They are like no other shrimp you have ever tasted. Last time I bought it was $4 for regular size and $6 for prawns. And when I say prawns, I mean shrimp as big as small lobsters. But you have to get there before sunup, because there is a line. If you don't want to cook them you can take them over to Son Jaun Mexican Restaurant and they will cook them anyway you want them for free. All you have to buy is a side dish and a drink ($4).

Last edited:
Hey anyone here have olive egger fertile eggs? I'll be willing to trade. I have a lame trade with cream legbar fetile eggs or easter egger fertile eggs. Cream legbars are $40 a dozen, so it's a rotten trade, but my easter ggers are $10 a dozen . Willing to trade omeone for olive egger fertile eggs or even chicks. I live in del valle.

Hey, if you have time, head over to Port Aransas early in the morning and buy some fresh shrimp from the Pollyanna.  She docks at the city park harbor and she sells right off the ship.  She only fishes for deep water shrimp over 300 feet deep.  They are like no other shrimp you have ever tasted.  Last time I bought it was $4 for regular size and $6 for prawns.  And when I say prawns, I mean shrimp as big as small lobsters.  But you have to get there before sunup, because there is a line. If you don't want to cook them you can take them over to Son Jaun Mexican Restaurant and they will cook them anyway you want them for free.  All you have to buy is a side dish and a drink ($4). 

We've bought from her. We used to live in CC.

Anyone else feeling the Autumn warm & fuzzies coming on? Mom and Pop bought me four small pie pumpkins, so I cooked those suckers up and pureed them. Today, I got the ingredients and made some tasty treats!

And as you know, my ultimate goal is to make you all very hungry, hehe!

Thanks to an unsuspecting TammyTX for providing the recipe for pumpkin bread on this post. It is delicious!

I think I have another quart of pumpkin left. Let's just say that this girl is going to make some experimental pumpkin butter. And let's just say that this girl is following this recipe to make said pumpkin butter (and this girl is just going link crazy in this post, haha!).

It's been a really good day.
woot.gif

Y
U
M
!

I'm glad you liked the recipe! It is so moist and I am pretty sure I could eat the whole thing within 24 hours! :D I gave recipes for the cookbook a few years back, but they didn't give credit because I didn't use my full name.

Last year I bought several bottles of Torani sugar free Pumpkin Pie flavoring syrup and I've been making mock Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frap...it is no where near the same, but since I am TRYING to stick to my diet...it'll have to do!

What's your favorite seasonal beverage...?

Back
Top Bottom