Texas

Yes! You should name him Spades.
lol.png
or deuce?

Does anyone have any experience hatching quail eggs with a game hen? My two perpetually broody hens, despite repeated attempts at breaking them, refuse to quit. If I can't let them hatch any eggs, I'll probably end up putting them in the broody breaker cage. I only use it as a last resort since it does make them very uncomfortable, but I will do it if I need to.

I'm hoping to get some fertile Georgia Giant Bobwhite quail eggs, but I'm not entirely sure how big they are or if my hens would take to them. I know some people have issues with their hens hatching quail, simply because quail chicks seem pretty eager to run away from the nest when they don't understand the hen's clucking.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd love to get some more quail (out of the six quail that survived, I'm pretty sure I only have one female. It is the most depressing discovery I've made in awhile). It'd probably be cheaper to let the hens hatch them than buying the chicks, anyway.

got chicken I processed Sat in the crockpot. Will debone in a while and add homegrown veggies for real homemade chicken soup for dinner!!

Started drizzling/raining last night and still going this morning. I was was hopeful until I saw the awesome (not) accumulation of just about 1/2". So much for that Flash Flood Warning they issued last night.

Erik (5 miles South of Abilene)

Does anyone have any experience hatching quail eggs with a game hen?  My two perpetually broody hens, despite repeated attempts at breaking them, refuse to quit.  If I can't let them hatch any eggs, I'll probably end up putting them in the broody breaker cage.  I only use it as a last resort since it does make them very uncomfortable, but I will do it if I need to.

I'm hoping to get some fertile [COLOR=222222]Georgia Giant Bobwhite quail eggs, but I'm not entirely sure how big they are or if my hens would take to them.  I know some people have issues with their hens hatching quail, simply because quail chicks seem pretty eager to run away from the nest when they don't understand the hen's clucking.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Does anyone have any advice?  I'd love to get some more quail (out of the six quail that survived, I'm pretty sure I only have one female.  It is the most depressing discovery I've made in awhile).  It'd probably be cheaper to let the hens hatch them than buying the chicks, anyway.  [/COLOR]
I would think a hen would break quail eggs sitting on them. If they're cheap enough it won't hurt to try though. I'm giggling thinking about a chicken trying to care for a bunch of quail.

Back
Top Bottom