Texas

Abilene is a pleasant overcast today. Have to consider what I want to cover up or dig up for taking inside as we have a freeze forecast for Tues night / Wed morning. Had a little frost that damaged my basil and tomatoes but this next event will likely kill them and any other fragile plants.

On the plus side I read carrots get tastier after the first couple frosts/freezes as it kills or inactivates the green tops and let's the roots sweeten up.

On the ++ side we have 4 new chicks that hatched Fri/Sat from 6 eggs I bought from Zootopia. Had all 3 silkies go broody and one had raised chicks earlier this summer that we stuck under at night. Decided to see how they'd do with fertile eggs and as far as I'm concerned 4 out of 6 is pretty good. No delay for these chicks getting shipped around from breeder to feed store to me, these chicks are already eating/drinking and getting to know the flock. The silkies seem to be co-mothering them and thus far keeping them in the coop. I figure they know more about raising chicks than I do, and at any rate the whole experience was a cheap experiment. For the cost of 6 fertile eggs I know the silkies will successfully hatch me some chicks!

Erik near Abilene

p.s. Out of curiosity, what's a good hatch rate for letting hens hatch eggs? In this case I have no idea if they stole the eggs from each other or what. Two hens sat side by side and one hen sat alone in the next box over. I'd set 2 under the single, and 2 under the double-set of hens. They did over time move the nest out of the box and closer together on the open floor (deep litter) of the coop.

Last edited:
Here is a spaghetti squash recipe I got today. I've never tried kale, but the recipe sounds good. I think some toasted seeds would be good with it too.

I have a couple more if anyone wants them. I have a lot of recipes that I will share. :)

Bummer! You missed one of the best groups. I would have liked to have gone. Missed it again this year.

Yeah, Third Day is one of my favorite bands. Wish we could have stayed, but Grace had to wake up at 5:30am for pre-k so we just didn't want to have her out that long and she was crying and getting cranky and tired.

Here is a spaghetti squash recipe I got today. I've never tried kale, but the recipe sounds good. I think some toasted seeds would be good with it too.

I have a couple more if anyone wants them. I have a lot of recipes that I will share. :)
Looks soooo yummy. I've had to radically change my diet since last Monday due to health issues. This looks amazing. Will definitely try it!

So the kids like sleeping in the nesting boxes....usually all five of them in one box......is this a habbit I should try and break.
hu.gif
...or should I let chickens be chickens and sleep where they squat? And if its something I need to work on...what should I try?
D.gif

Thank you!!!!

Yeah, Third Day is one of my favorite bands. Wish we could have stayed, but Grace had to wake up at 5:30am for pre-k so we just didn't want to have her out that long and she was crying and getting cranky and tired.

Looks soooo yummy. I've had to radically change my diet since last Monday due to health issues. This looks amazing. Will definitely try it!
Thanks! It looks beautiful as well as delicious. I'm going to have to try it using our own collards and/or chard.

Thanks! It looks beautiful as well as delicious. I'm going to have to try it using our own collards and/or chard.
Kale became a new favorite of mine. I've been putting it in smoothies and salads. I had never tried kale until last week...now I'm hooked. I already loved and grew my own fresh spinach, but kale might be one for the books around our home!

Back
Top Bottom