Texas

Wow, that is pretty, Melissa Dear. I will show my friend Rosemarie tomorrow when I share with her the bad and good news. We will see you in San Antonio soon. How about a dinner with Taco Al Pastor, my treat?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I have been on byc since the spring. I just found this Texas thread. I'm so glad to find neighbors! I am in Cibolo, Texas. I have Silkies and Silkied Seramas. Also my motly crew of layers. Can't forget my Sebastapol gander, Malley. I am planning on showing my Silkies and Seramas. Hello again to everyone!

Greetings from College Station! One more thought regarding rooster aggression. I don't doubt that it can be bred in, but my neighbor (who knows a lot about chickens) said that it's not a good idea to make eye contact with the too, or to be particularly affectionate with young roos. Eye contact is perceived by many animals as confrontational.

Anyhow, I avoid eye contact with the current rooster, Fancy Nancy, but then he only has one eye (after a run in with a hawk last year).

Hi :hugs :love
  I had a beauteous Welsummer Roo named D-eggo and he was such a good roo until he was about a year and a half old. Then he decided he didn't like my poor sweet hubby :th . I had promised my hubby I would never let him be attacked by a chicken since he was already the target of our very blood thirsty geese :gig . I was going to get rid of him immediately but being the sweet hubby he is he suggested I find out in this forum if there wasn't something we could do to gentle him back up. Well one lady told me that every time I went into the run I should pick him up and put him in a small holding cage so my hubby could be the dominate one. After about 4 days he realized I was going to put him in THE SMALL CAGE - :rolleyes:  and he started to violently attack me :th . We now have Little D-eggo who is truly sweet and gentle and I learned that I would never keep an aggressive roo. If they show any aggression to either the hens or us they end up in the crock pot :confused: . We had a couple of Ameraucana roos that were sweet to us but had my beauteous ladies screaming and throwing themselves against the run walls trying to get away ! Aggression can and is bred into chickens and so I cull any that show even a little :hugs :love . Your wounds look terrible:hugs :hugs :love . My legs looked like I had rolled around in razor wire after just a few days of Big D-eego's assaults :barnie :hugs :love   My Welsummer's are going into a breeding pen soon so if you need a new Welsummer Roo I would be glad to give you one when he is available. They mostly come from a lady here that goes by Ruth but her name is Monica and her birds are top quality. The ladies give the most beauteous orangey-brown eggs with the prettiest chocolate sprinkles :hugs :love

Melissa! <3 look what hatched

Last edited:
My 36 year old horse has colic. The vet just left a little while ago. :( He was rolling on the grass and in terrible pain this morning when I went out to feed the chickens. I spent almost two hours massaging his belly and keeping him from rolling. Poor thing looks like he must have been in pain for a few hours because he rubbed his temples raw. Good thing we had him in around the house last night...if he had been in the pasture I would not have found him.

I need to go walk him some more.

My 36 year old horse has colic. The vet just left a little while ago. :( He was rolling on the grass and in terrible pain this morning when I went out to feed the chickens. I spent almost two hours massaging his belly and keeping him from rolling. Poor thing looks like he must have been in pain for a few hours because he rubbed his temples raw. Good thing we had him in around the house last night...if he had been in the pasture I would not have found him.

Poor thing. What was the vet able to do for him?

Greetings from College Station! One more thought regarding rooster aggression. I don't doubt that it can be bred in, but my neighbor (who knows a lot about chickens) said that it's not a good idea to make eye contact with the too, or to be particularly affectionate with young roos. Eye contact is perceived by many animals as confrontational.

Anyhow, I avoid eye contact with the current rooster, Fancy Nancy, but then he only has one eye (after a run in with a hawk last year).
lau.gif
I love that rooster's name!
gig.gif

Oh no, that poor guy.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
I hope the vet was able to do something for him and that he feels better soon.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom