Texas

I hadn't mentioned that I got a Great Pyrenees pup a couple months ago. this is what she looked like when I first brought her home:

She is growing now by leaps and bounds and I tell you, she LOVES her chickens! My biggest problem with her is that she wants to hold them down and lick them. She isn't' quite 4 months old yet. And I've never been a dog person. I never wanted to have a dog. But I love this pup. Hopefully I'll get a good picture of her to post. I resisted getting one due to the cost ($600 for a DOG?? Are you outta your mind???) and the fact that I'm not much of a "dog person" but this girl is just fantastic. She came from a local farm with goats and chickens.

:( This fall I was losing chickens from 5:00AM-8:00AM, caught this: The next weekend, I caught this with the same bait: It was the first time I've ever caught a coyote in a live trap.
Wow. So did either of these just tear off the chicken's heads? I am suspecting a raccoon got my hen, but they aren't usually out after 6:30 am. May I ask what you did with the bobcat and coyote?

Last edited:
I hadn't mentioned that I got a Great Pyrenees pup a couple months ago. this is what she looked like when I first brought her home:

She is growing now by leaps and bounds and I tell you, she LOVES her chickens! My biggest problem with her is that she wants to hold them down and lick them. She isn't' quite 4 months old yet. And I've never been a dog person. I never wanted to have a dog. But I love this pup. Hopefully I'll get a good picture of her to post. I resisted getting one due to the cost ($600 for a DOG?? Are you outta your mind???) and the fact that I'm not much of a "dog person" but this girl is just fantastic. She came from a local farm with goats and chickens.

Precious. She is going to get big. :)

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope this doesn't happen again to you. Are the others okay? Do they seem frazzled or upset? I wonder if he was seen by the other hens.

I think they did see something. When I first went out this morning they stayed close to the coop until I got close with the food. I thought it was because of the cold. It makes sense after I found Scrambled. They had been frightened. I hung around in the yard with them and the sun came out and they seemed to forget all about it.
Wish they could tell me what got Scrambled.

Wow. So did either of these just tear off the chicken's heads? I am suspecting a raccoon got my hen, but they aren't usually out after 6:30 am. May I ask what you did with the bobcat and coyote?

I relocated bobcat to my uncles ranch in the river bottoms, the coyote wasn't as lucky.

And no, the coyote carried all the birds off, the bobcat just killed a lot and took one.

Last edited:
@bosingleton WOW!!! that would freak me out.

@galanie dang she is a cutie, can't wait to see newer pictures and hear stories
big_smile.png

Anyone on here have Dexter cattle?

Anyone going to the South Central Texas Poultry Show in La Grange???

In addition to the open show there will be a pigeon show, egg show, and a chicken costume contest!!! It will be hosted in a larger indoor barn (not the tiny poultry barn), but is still a smaller show (number of birds shown wise).

I will be there with some campines and d'Anvers, as well as an ameraucana and maybe a brahma if they are in condition. I also participate in the egg show and am trying to pull off a costume for one of the girls lol

Oh, and did anyone else attend the Bluebonnet Classic? It was nice!

Preston

Anyone going to the South Central Texas Poultry Show in La Grange???

In addition to the open show there will be a pigeon show, egg show, and a chicken costume contest!!! It will be hosted in a larger indoor barn (not the tiny poultry barn), but is still a smaller show (number of birds shown wise).

I will be there with some campines and d'Anvers, as well as an ameraucana and maybe a brahma if they are in condition. I also participate in the egg show and am trying to pull off a costume for one of the girls lol

Oh, and did anyone else attend the Bluebonnet Classic? It was nice!

Preston

I'm going!

I'll bring some Cochins (hopefully four) and a couple of Ameraucanas. It will be my first show. I thought about the costume show, but think if I'm showing up to half a dozen birds, I will have more than enough on my plate.

I still need to get birds P/T tested, but I am waiting to receive a couple of birds I'm hoping to show as well.

I'm planning to go to three in March. The South Central show, the one in Dripping Springs two weeks later and finally the South Texas State Fair at the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom