Texas

This hits close to home for me because I have been through this same thing and lost a son. Not from drugs but a car wreck.

Thanks for all your prayers.

I'm so sorry. My eldest son almost died of a disease when he was five. I've never been brought to my knees the way I was when I was just begging that he'd live. I just can't imagine losing a child. I'm so very sorry.

I posted on emergencies/disease but I thought y'all might be able to help.

We've had so much trouble with our last order of chicks its almost gotten to the point of ridiculous.

Our 1 week old Turken has something going on. Its always appeared 'round' to us, like a golf ball, something just didn't look right. We noticed today it appears round and swollen at the back end. The 'mass' feels exactly like a full crop. The chick is full of energy, running around like its healthy as can be. The vent IS NOT blocked, we watched it pass stool, a normal amount, normal consistency.

Any ideas?

It looks like an infected egg yolk./navel. Omphalitis. It is caused by bacteria getting into the chick's navel at hatching usually from poor hygiene.

http://www.pasreform.com/academy/fr...mphalitis-to-reduce-first-week-mortality.html

If it is that, it has a very, very poor prognosis.

Y'all got my prayers folks. Wish folks would quit the quest to get chemically high. There are much better ways to find happiness. So sad.
Thank you. Well said.

I'm so sorry. My eldest son almost died of a disease when he was five. I've never been brought to my knees the way I was when I was just begging that he'd live. I just can't imagine losing a child. I'm so very sorry.
Thanks. I am glad your son made it through that. Bless your heart. We had ours for 10 years after his wreck. He died from complications from is accident. It brought me to my knees many times. I feel blessed to have had him for those years. I learned what is truly important in life.

I have not received an update on Garrett. The last I heard, he was still in a coma. The lack of communication has me worried.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the prayers.

Converse Texas... no chickens yet....a bunch of research!!
frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg! Just a word of warning: WE ENABLE!!
big_smile.png

Got a little work done on the coop. It has a door now!!! I need more hardware, hinges, latches....BLAH!!!

Very nice!!

Lisa :)

My husband built my second coop. It is funny that most of the chickens like to roost in the smaller coop/tractor. When I had 8 all but 3 would cram in there at night. Now I am down to 6 and still they prefer the little coop. One lone brown leghorn sleeps in the bigger one. It has 2 nesting boxes so they all lay in them. Go figure.

I have two little coops, one for the front yard chickens (clean legged) and one for the feather footed bantams and my son's favorite Polish in my back yard. One bantam Plymouth Rock goes freely between the front and the back flock. Sometimes she lays and roosts with the big chickens, sometimes she sleeps with the bantams. She'll move between flocks (and a four-foot fence) several times a day. She lays in whatever coop she is closest to.

Is that one skinned? It doesn't look anything like the photos I've seen of silkie meat.

Yes, skinned. The skin is jet black, but the meat is not. Some parts of the meat are jet black--you can see that very, very thin sheet of black pigment along the legs. Anywhere the meat touches the bones will have a thin layer of black pigment. Some of the organs are jet black, like the reproductive organs. I don't think I could cope with cooking that jet black skin. I know I couldn't cope with plucking it. I've skinned everything I've slaughtered--it is just so easy. Cooked, the meat is not unlike dark meat, but there are those sheets of black running through it. I think you looked at meat with the black skin on it--that will give an optical illusion of being very different than normal chicken meat.

Back
Top Bottom