Texas

Eggcessive gave me this link when asking about chick feet but it is a wealth of other info as well. For you folks that are dealing with mites, you can use camphophenic applied to the legs. You can also use Frontline, the same stuff you use for fleas on dogs and cats. It treats chicken mites and fowl mites too. It is sold as Pet Armor at Wally world. Same med Fipronil. Been using it for years on my animals with no ill effects. Just buy the largest vials and use accordingly...here is the link to verify what I said and the application amounts for your birds and any precautions you should take...Magpie https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

What happens when they turn into beetles?  Don't they escape then?

Your phone is on a roll tonight!  ;)  Mealworm thing, right?  

:hugs   I know only too well what you are going through. My oldest (almost 22) isn't allowed to live at home any longer for (I think) the same reasons. I can't handle the way he will treat me.  He was in rare form tonight (there must be something in the air) and I got it over the phone and in texts.  At least I can hang up and delete them.  Not quite so bad.  My youngest (turned 20 today! No way!!! How can my baby be 20?!?) lives with me and is much better. He has his moments, but nothing like his brother. 

First I had no idea what she was talking about ..... Metal works...... Bahabaha... Mealworms. Now it makes since. I though I missed something some where! ROFLOL got to love auto correct.

I'm ok with moving back home once and this is his once. He and I just butt heads and he is NEVER wrong. It's all I can do to keep from just going stupid on him some times. Young man hormones and old moms just are not suppose to live in the same house after a certain age. Lol but then there are a few like our younger ones that blow that thought out of the water. Lots of praying!!
That's why I have chickens..... They lower my blood pressure and make me smile!

No, the beetles just stay in the litter.  I keep a lid on it (usually) but have never found a beetle anywhere but in the box.  I forgot to mention that the box has lots of holes drilled in it for ventilation.  That's important--there can't be a build up of humidity.

Ok y'all are going to laugh at me but after trying to read about mealworms but had to stop because of the pictures.... I just can't do them. They creep me out, even the dried ones when I open the box to give them to my peeps! LOL
I'm a nurse and without going into any details.... I can't do them. Lol BUT I can do earthworms!
I know, I'm such a girl. Who would have thunk it!

thumbsup.gif

Don't do it. Just say no. Then come get some of my chicks. Lmao.

Speaking of. My lone SLW is missing
sad.png

I hope you find your SLW safe and sound!

this is Zootopia's Arkansas Blue Roo x my frizzle black EE's. Yippee a blue frizzle and hopefully pretty blue egg

Such a cutie!

Y'all will be happy to know there's officially birds in my yard again!! I have a barred rock rooster, a white guinea, two buff Orpington chicks, and six solid black chicks... Not including the fluffy butts out in the shedthat really enjoyed ggetting let out into their run to play this morning.

As for that repurposed shed I built? I'm planning on filling it with Silver Spangled Hamburgs but I'm on a wait list. So I won't have anything in it until next year? Don't think so buddy! That means I get to put something else in there and build a pen for the Hamburgs closer to time to get them. For now? Barred rocks on the north side, bbs Australorp on the other side.

Yep. Your not allowed to have a chicken coop standing empty for too long.
big_smile.png

Come on up A1momof3! We'll make it a field trip!
If you click on that link she put up a few mages back it shows all the birds they raise.
I had to stop looking at it....lol

The metalwork thing is fascinating. ..i dont know why I never thought of it before, my bearded dragon with through those things like water
lau.gif
It took me a couple of posts before I realized what you were talking about! Gotta love auto correct!!

hit.gif
Sorry, my spirit has been broken this evening. My oldest Son moved back home last fall and is working to save money and get this ducks in line so to speak. He will be 20 this year and he and his girl friend are getting married May or 2015. The have been dating for 2 years and ..... well long story short, it's been a bad night and my nerves are shot. Luckily he leaves to go back to work tomorrow for 2 weeks, (we are a oil business family.) So my youngest son who is 18 (and MUCH calmer) and I will have a few days of calm and happiness without any ill tempers. LOL I just can't stand negative mind sets and gripping. LOL
barnie.gif

Ok, I'm done whining. Someone give me some cheese. LOL

I think older sons where born to torment their mothers. I know just how you feel!
hugs.gif
Mine is 27, and he still hasn't gotten any better.
Anyone raising Road Island Reds? I've got access to a few free, I repeat FREE RIR pullets from my wife's coworker and I was curious if anyone had any experience with them they'd like to share... still... can't beat free!
There is someone on here that raises Heritage RIR's. For the life of me, I can't remember his name.

Ok y'all are going to laugh at me but after trying to read about mealworms but had to stop because of the pictures.... I just can't do them. They creep me out, even the dried ones when I open the box to give them to my peeps! LOL
I'm a nurse and without going into any details.... I can't do them. Lol BUT I can do earthworms!

I just read this BYC thread on mealworms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-mealworms

It mentions the possible developement of allergies while tending the mealworms. Have any of ya'll noticed this? Earthworms are great! You can put em on a hook or feed em to the chickens.

Ya'll were talking about Mareks disease, have ya'll read the thread about it on the front page?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

A paragraph from the article:

"When should I vaccinate?
Marek's vaccinations should be administered to chicks that are less than 36 hours out of the egg. Within 24 hours is recommended. This is to give the undeveloped immune system the proper amount of time to build resistance to the harmless MDV-3.
Most hatcheries will vaccinate day-old chicks for you. The cost of vaccination is typically less than $0.30 at the time of writing. It is even less at some hatcheries.
You can vaccinate your hatched chicks at home within this 36-hour period, but all proper vaccination procedures must be followed in order to guarantee an effective vaccination. Always follow all pharmaceutical guidelines offered by the manufacturer of the vaccine.
Chickens that were not vaccinated by 36-hours-old should never be considered “properly vaccinated” and should not be sold or traded under the pretenses that they were vaccinated for Marek's."

Such a small time frame for being "properly" vaccinated.

I have my dusting tub ready for my babies when they get out of the brooder. I wanted something that I can move, that was deep enough to keep the litter out, but not too deep. I have a little tykes turtle sandbox I thought about using, but it takes up a lot of room and really isn't that much bigger in diameter than this barrel.

It was one of my old horse feeders. I've had that thing for almost 20 years. I use the top part of the barrel for feeding hay to the horses, or as a water trough. They are almost indestructible, and you can usually get them for free, or you used to.

I've got experience with RIR more then most chicks lol how old are they
The man who has them simply says "between 6months and a year". He works with my wife and has tons of them. He's always giving/selling eggs to coworkers. All I ever talk about is chickens and gardens (I'm new to both) so my wife started asking him questions. He offered to give me a few! I'm in the process of building a chicken tractor in the evenings after work.

Anyone raising Road Island Reds? I've got access to a few free, I repeat FREE RIR pullets from my wife's coworker and I was curious if anyone had any experience with them they'd like to share... still... can't beat free!

I just started raising them in January. Easy temperament and fun to watch. Should be good layers according to my research. So, free is good, But be warned, if these are your first birds, you'll get addicted fast.

I've read about doing earthworms. Sounds pretty easy. Let me look....BRB. OK, here is a how to on it. I've thought about it too. I may look into it more....

I think older sons where born to torment their mothers. I know just how you feel!
hugs.gif

It mentions the possible developement of allergies while tending the mealworms. Have any of ya'll noticed this? Earthworms are great! You can put em on a hook or feed em to the chickens.

Ya'll were talking about Mareks disease, have ya'll read the thread about it on the front page?

Marek's vaccinations should be administered to chicks that are less than 36 hours out of the egg. Within 24 hours is recommended. This is to give the undeveloped immune system the proper amount of time to build resistance to the harmless MDV-3.
Most hatcheries will vaccinate day-old chicks for you. The cost of vaccination is typically less than $0.30 at the time of writing. It is even less at some hatcheries.
You can vaccinate your hatched chicks at home within this 36-hour period, but all proper vaccination procedures must be followed in order to guarantee an effective vaccination. Always follow all pharmaceutical guidelines offered by the manufacturer of the vaccine.
Chickens that were not vaccinated by 36-hours-old should never be considered “properly vaccinated” and should not be sold or traded under the pretenses that they were vaccinated for Marek's."

I have my dusting tub ready for my babies when they get out of the brooder. I wanted something that I can move, that was deep enough to keep the litter out, but not too deep. I have a little tykes turtle sandbox I thought about using, but it takes up a lot of room and really isn't that much bigger in diameter than this barrel.

It was one of my old horse feeders. I've had that thing for almost 20 years. I use the top part of the barrel for feeding hay to the horses, or as a water trough. They are almost indestructible, and you can usually get them for free, or you used to.
I agree on the oldest. Mine is starting to get better. I think....

Possible allergies with mealworms? No thanks. I have them bad enough. I don't need to add to it!

Thanks for the info on Mareks. I wonder if I will have all my chicks in time to vaccinate them. I need to read more about this disease. I know many people don't vaccinate at all.

Like your 'bathtub'. :) That reminds me. When Trevor was about 2 yrs old he called lakes kack kack tubs - (Quack, Quack) - translation, duck tubs. lol! I hope I wrote that one down in his baby book. :)

The man who has them simply says "between 6months and a year". He works with my wife and has tons of them. He's always giving/selling eggs to coworkers. All I ever talk about is chickens and gardens (I'm new to both) so my wife started asking him questions. He offered to give me a few! I'm in the process of building a chicken tractor in the evenings after work.
No brainer, free chickens = go for it. :) Good luck to you. Beware of chicken math!

I raise composting earthworms and it is so easy. I bought two 5 gallon buckets from Lowes and drilled holes in bottom of one and put a few layers of newspapers in bottom, compost not fully composted such as chicken manure, scraps, etc and some compost worms and more compost. I put layers of newspapers on top and keep in shady place for summer and keep from freezing in winter. The worm eat their way to top so I keep adding stuff until full then get the wonderful compost out to use in gardens. This bucket sits inside the second one and it catches the wonderful compost tea that I use for my plants. I use the worm compost around plants and worms for chickens and fishing. It is a win win situation. I ordered the composting worms online. Once you get them you're set as they reproduce and make lots. My chickens love worms.

thumbsup.gif

I hope you find your SLW safe and sound!

Such a cutie!

Yep. Your not allowed to have a chicken coop standing empty for too long.
big_smile.png

lau.gif
It took me a couple of posts before I realized what you were talking about! Gotta love auto correct!!

hugs.gif
There is someone on here that raises Heritage RIR's. For the life of me, I can't remember his name.

The only problem I have run into with the dust bath thing is when it rains. Mine is not sheltered and it gets soggy after a good rain. I have just gone to letting them dig up a spot in the yard and they go to town in the dirt. When it rains, they just have to wait til it dries out. oh well, chicken probs, as my daughter says.

Back
Top Bottom