Texas

I can't get over how yours started off so dark and yet we have almost the same coloring!!!

The chick down color is inherited separately from the final color, so sometimes two chicks that look completely different end up looking exactly the same as adults. I don't know anything about the genetics of chick down color other than that.

The blue gene only dilutes black, so if your bird is red it won't show.

Here's a picture of a blue Bantam Cochin pullet. She carries one gene for blue, which dilutes the black and gives that nice edging to the feathers. Without the one blue gene, she would b black.

Here's a blue wheaten Ameraucana cockerel. You can see, only the black feathering is diluted by the blue gene. He has one blue gene like the Cochin pullet above.

Here is a blue wheaten Ameraucana pullet. She is genetically exactly the same color as the bird above, but in the hen coloring. The only way you can tell she is a blue is by looking at the black on her tail and wings--since it has been diluted, she is a blue.

Here is an idea for protecting your garden from scavenging wildlife. I kept thinking what a great idea chicken run enclosure idea as I looked at the photos. :)

I would love to have raised beds like that and an enclosed garden. I hate fighting the mockingbirds for my tomatoes and berries. The raised beds would do wonders for growing. My gumbo soil is so bad for growing anything. I have good soil on top, but it isn't all that deep.

Do you have hardware cloth?

The latch inside keeps the door closed so the chickens can't get out if you don't want them too. 

Yes ma'am i do have hardware cloth!
1f61c.png

I was going to put latches on the out side of the doors but your saying to put them inside instead? Right?

This is a time thing not an order thing
My DH really likes things done right the first time and it is important to him with any building project from fences to buildings to have a level prepared surface. As well as a VERY CLEAR idea of what I want.

without those two things projects can seem to take forever even if they didn't.

Lol I have put a lot of time into drawing out per great detail what I am wanting. So there isn't any question, drawing it 3d even. At least the best I could. So I think I'm ready for his return and our beginning of this project. At least I have made a great effort to have things ready. He will have to give me marks for that!!

Hi, everyone, just wanted to say hello to all my fellow Texans, I'm in Harlingen, which is between Mcallen and Brownsville in the Rio Grande Valley - WAY South! New to the boards and looking forward to getting to know y'all. We have a little flock of baby Bielefelders. :)

Ok the older I'm getting the less tolerant I am of things! Lol I just went to the nursery to get some plants to put in my pots around my patio and pool. I spent 100 and I really didn't get that much. I lost a lot this winter not having a really good place to bring pots into. But I'm thinking I need to learn more about growing my own flowers from seeds and starters!! If I start now I could have some nice stuff by next spring! Lol

Everyone that knows me calls me Martha because I will make bread from scratch when it's Easier to buy it, homemade tortillas are WAY better than store bought, home made chicken pot pies are a pain but they are so much better than frozen ones..... You get the idea. So why not try this too!!

Hi, everyone, just wanted to say hello to all my fellow Texans, I'm in Harlingen, which is between Mcallen and Brownsville in the Rio Grande Valley - WAY South! New to the boards and looking forward to getting to know y'all. We have a little flock of baby Bielefelders. :)

Welcome!! From way up in East Texas!

Okay Harley here is your chance to become famous on your Farm Channel.  You need to come to the old-fashion diner A1momof3 is going to open.  Ms. Jellybean, henless, and I will be cooking breakfast.  Hung is bringing the entertainment along with Slipswife.  Everyone else will be sitting around debating, laughing, and discussing ideas.

Coffee anyone?  Egg coming right up!

Lisa :)

Going to call discovery and see if they will back us on this. We can talk about chicken ideals and go to peoples homestead and see how they do their stuff or show them ways to do things better.

The only catch is...you have to do it Naked and Afraid! LOL

:lau :gig can't stand that show I'm 377 posts behind :eek: we have lambs coming out our ears, 18 babies out of 8 moms so far, with 3 more ewes left to lamb :th

We watch it when my hubby is home. And yes it is to make fun of them.... I mean really. I don't even want to think about how long it takes to get "things" cleaned back up once they leave those places!! LOL Ok, my nurse side is coming out and I am thinking How do you know a chicken has aspirated?? What are the signs?? Interesting.
It was pretty obvious--she was choking and her trying to clear her airway--it was pretty obvious. She then declined over a few hours as fluid filled her lungs. I took her to the vet (against my "farmer's" better judgement--after all it was my own d@mn fault) thinking she would be dead by the time I made the long drive into the city. He gave me the options--Lasix to clear the fluid out of her lungs and injectable antibiotics (Baytril) to combat any infection that might set up. He said her lungs/airway weren't as bad as they actually sounded--it was the fluid build up that was causing the noise and her terror of suffocating. I thought about it. Let me see, a kazillion dollars I don't have for a chicken worth almost nothing against trying to save my favorite chicken's. Decision made. He beamed when I decided to try to save her and said how much he wanted to treat her. My vet wanted to be a poultry pathologist when he was in school--he is only 10 hours short of a degree in poultry science--but decided in school he liked chickens too much to only work on dead chickens, so now he is an avian vet in San Antonio. He doesn't work on many chickens, so he is always happy to see mine. So far, I'm crossing my fingers that she will live. At the moment, she is really good. Once we cleared the fluid from her lungs--I guess her body was setting up the response to drowning--she has never looked back. The crop has finally settled down and is acting normally. That took months to sort out. She is gaining her weight back. She laid an egg today, poor thing, and maybe one a couple of days ago--not sure because the other crop-issue bird was with her in the pen and I don't know what that one's eggs look like. Just a bit of information: chickens (maybe birds in general) don't have the cells that sweep debris out of the lungs the way humans (and maybe all mammals) have. So, anything that goes into the lungs stays in the lungs until the body seals it off and/or the white blood cells go outside the capillary walls into the lungs, grab the foreign matter and go back into the blood stream and do whatever white blood cells do when they've "eaten" foreign material. Aspiration of a foreign body is a bigger issue with birds than with people. Here is a picture of her. She's a splash Ameraucana from the same breeder Ms. Jellybean is getting her Ameraucana from. They might even be related.
Pretty girl, I hope she made it

Awww
hugs.gif
It's sad when our "kids" grow up and leave us behind!
thumbsup.gif
On the bathroom! LOL

I have a question for you Lisa. Do you remember the pic of the brown looking EE you posted? I had one that was colored the same way. Do you know which one of your flock it was? I was wondering what color it was now. Mine is a funny color. Kind of a silvery/blue with red on it. I'll try and get a better pic today while she/he is out in the coop.

Then

Now

Mine kinda looks like that. They are suppose to be Ameracauna. Will get a picture ASAP.
Ok the older I'm getting the less tolerant I am of things! Lol I just went to the nursery to get some plants to put in my pots around my patio and pool. I spent 100 and I really didn't get that much. I lost a lot this winter not having a really good place to bring pots into. But I'm thinking I need to learn more about growing my own flowers from seeds and starters!! If I start now I could have some nice stuff by next spring! Lol

Everyone that knows me calls me Martha because I will make bread from scratch when it's Easier to buy it, homemade tortillas are WAY better than store bought, home made chicken pot pies are a pain but they are so much better than frozen ones..... You get the idea. So why not try this too!!
You and I are a lot alike. I LOVE cooking from scratch. Are you going to help out in the Texas BYC Cafe???? Anytime my husband brings up 'Mary and Martha' in class (he is the teacher), guess who he uses as his 'Martha' example???
hmm.png

lau.gif
gig.gif
can't stand that show I'm 377 posts behind
ep.gif
we have lambs coming out our ears, 18 babies out of 8 moms so far, with 3 more ewes left to lamb
th.gif
AWWWWWWW......you are going to post pictures, aren't you?

Quote:
frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg! I had to look up your birds: BEAUTIFUL!!!

Search Results

Store Bielefelder | Greenfire Farms​
greenfirefarms.com​
- 800 × 584 - Search by image
Bielefelder​

Try these too:

View more
Images may be subject to copyright.-Send feedback

Lisa :)

Pretty girl, I hope she made it

So far, so good. She's gaining weight and is laying eggs again. She her crop made a huge improvement as soon as I stopped trying to acidify her crop and gave her oyster shells. She finished her antibiotics a couple of days ago. She's outside in a small pen on grass with her wheaten buddy.

She'll go back with the flock after I integrate the little Ameraucana chicks in to it. They are six weeks old today or tomorrow. I have been taking them out into the parrot aviary right beside the coop of the free range flock. I hope the rooster starts thinking they also need protecting.

When do others let their chicks free range? They just seem so small. I don't mind bringing them in the house or the garage at night and putting them out in the aviary for another month or so. I do NOT trust my little Dachshunds with the small chicks and I can see disasters happening. I had a little coop set up in the aviary thinking they could just stay there but my darn very old African Grey parrot decided that little dog-house coop was perfect for me and him to set up housekeeping and hatch some eggs together. He was in the process of remodeling it for me inside and out. He was quite proud of himself I might add. I had to remove it before he turned it into mulch.

Back
Top Bottom