Texas

Quote from my pastor...
When it comes to disagreement..don't get your knickers in a knot...it makes you walk funny!
gig.gif

My maternal grandmother lived all her life in a West Texas area on a farm. She raised a flock of Leghorns (I guess -- they were big and solid white and furnished eggs and meat) all my childhood. While Granddad slept with a rifle beside the bed and would run outside if he heard the chickens squawking at night, they were pretty much on their own. There were doorless coop-type structures with roosts and nest boxes in them they could roost in, but I think the majority slept in low trees/bushes, on farm equipment, in the barn or garage, etc. They laid eggs pretty much all over and sometimes it was quite a trick to find a hidden "broody' before she hatched out her babies (if Grandma didn't want new chickens right then). They got some scratch every day and a few leftovers thrown out to the barn cats. I don't even remember any watering pans set out for them -- there was an overflow pan that collected drips from the water pump that delivered water from the 'tank' to the house I know.

Those chickens never seemed to have any problems. I KNOW they weren't coddled or treated as anything more than farm animals, although Grandma did have her favorite Broodys and would put other hens' eggs under them if they were setting. They wandered the farm at will and in the pastures, with the cows & sheep, and TRIED to get into Grandma's garden every year so it had to be fenced. There were lots -- probably 40 or more -- at any one time. Grandma did sell some of the eggs to the market in town if she had extra's. When we came to visit she'd let me go out with her when she picked out an older hen or rooster to butcher and fry up for literally the BEST fried chicken you ever had!

Point being - she never added anything to their water or food to protect them from the BRUTAL West Texas summer heat and I never noticed or heard anyone talking about 'how the chickens were stressed or panting'. I would notice lots more chickens in the garage/shed when it was during the heat of the day so maybe that's how they stayed cooler.

@happybooker1 You sound like my hubby...lol He talks about how his grandmother raised chickens...basically same as what you said. she really didn't do anything special. They ate scratch, free ranged, drank from the trough or puddles and laid eggs in the barn or where ever. He use to go on an "egg hunt" with his gramma every morning. And her chickens did just fine. He fusses at me sometimes. Says I worry way too much about the chickens. But then who goes down at 2am to check on them when it was really cold?? Not me...LOL

I think (my opine) that it comes down to what works for you. We all have different kinds of chickens. Some do better than others here in Texas. We have different water sources also. Coop designs, shade, no shade, airflow or dead air...what we feed them all are factors in our success. To me the most important thing is observation.
I'm new to chickens but from some 30 yrs experience having cats in my life, their health depends on my being aware of them, vigilant of their behavior and appearance. For me the same applies to my chickens. If one doesn't look or act "normal" noticing a change early can make all the difference. Most of what I have learned on here has been valuable and has worked for me. Some things I do more research on but most advice I have followed and so far has been accurate, All my big birds and chicks are strong and growing. Hope it continues once it gets really hot.. I'm not looking forward to the challenge...Magpie

From you own article, it says to prevent heat stress with Apple Cider Vinegar.

Did you even read it?

20 mls of apple cider vinegar equals 4 teaspoons. The apple cider vinegar is added for the potassium, to increase fluid intake. Also added is 5 teaspoons if sodium bicarbonate. The immediate first aid treatment is electrolytes and sodium bicarbonate solution with no acv.

"Prevention Strategy for Heat Stress

When temperatures are forecast above 35 degrees Celsius the following suggestions should help control the effects of heat stress (and reduce losses if temperatures then unexpectedly rise above 40 degrees Celsius).

2 mls Quickgel and 20 mls of Apple Cider Vinegar into 2 litres of cool drinking water. Apple cider vinegar is high in potassium, which is lost from the body in heat stress. Potassium in drinking water makes birds drink more. When temperatures are forecast to be above 40 degrees Celsius add 5 teaspoons of Sodium bicarbonate (Bicarb Soda - baking soda) into the same 2 litres of drinking water. Bicarb soda helps to control heat stress acidosis.)"

Here is my hot weather tip, regardless of what kind of water (with or without ACV), ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS have 2 sources they have access to. Never fails that during the hottest day of the year one will spill, and without the back up, it could be devastating.

Last edited:
Incubation question:

Veins mean development? If the egg is not fertile or not developing, there will be no veins but if there are veins than you have fertility and development?

I candled a little early, the few that I didn't figure were fertile are still pretty clear but I'm going to give them until at least Monday, which would be day 7. I'm excited that for the most part, shipped eggs included, I'm getting development. I do have a few saddle shaped air cells in the shipped eggs but I've read that's normal and I will mark them and keep a close eye one them during hatch.

Here is my hot weather tip, regardless of what kind of water (with or without ACV), ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS have 2 sources they have access to. Never fails that during the hottest day of the year one will spill, and without the back up, it could be devastating.
You are right on that one...I have two jug water stations...been trying the little drinker cups but they can't seem to figure out how to peck the little float to refill the cups. I also keep a shallow pan in their yard. Several of them seem to like walking thru it. Not the best for drinking tho. I know it's gonna be tough this summer so going to buy a shallow kiddy pool and put it about half way in the ground and put a rubber bathmat in the bottom. I think that will help keep them cool and have plenty to drink.

Take one gallon plastic milk or tea jugs and cut them open to leave the handle and to where they can still hold about half a gallon or so and set them under edge of bushes or trees in the shade. Use a two gallon plant waterer to put fresh water in. Depending on size of flock how many you put out and it also keeps them from walking in it.

David

Incubation question:

Veins mean development? If the egg is not fertile or not developing, there will be no veins but if there are veins than you have fertility and development?

I candled a little early, the few that I didn't figure were fertile are still pretty clear but I'm going to give them until at least Monday, which would be day 7. I'm excited that for the most part, shipped eggs included, I'm getting development. I do have a few saddle shaped air cells in the shipped eggs but I've read that's normal and I will mark them and keep a close eye one them during hatch.
What are you hatching? We've started talking about buying an incubator. I looked at the one that...umm can't remember who...had bought I think it's Innovator. We like that one. Anyway I was wonder more about ordering eggs? Are they cheaper than chicks? Do you have to order alot? Are they guaranteed to be fertile? How do they ship I would think they would break? Whoa that's alot of questions but I'm kind of excited about trying hatching. I would guess that spring is the best time so chicks would be ready for the summer. Thanks Magpie

Back
Top Bottom