Texas

orumpoultry....I saw the pics you posted yesterday.  So glad you didn't have a fire from your meter meltdown!  We had that happen to us in January.  Fortunately our meter is out on the power pole.  It was 28 degrees and windy while FIL and DH were trying to fix it.  Sheco had to come turn the power off.  Two trips to Lowes and working by flashlight, they got it fixed in about 4 hours.  Sure was cold and that 20+ year old wire was so brittle.  I hurt for them being out in the cold like that. My FIL is 75 it was really hard on him.

Yeah. That freaked me out in a BIG way. We just started our baby on the way stockpiling. I'd hate to lose what we just got, on top of all our furniture and belongings. This house was an old WW2 POW house they moved out here... Its OLD... The wiring is semi modern, probably late nineties the electrician said. I've lived here eight years now and never have we seen then lights as bright as they are now that he's come through and fixed the main ground.

They said we were lucky I knew to flip the breaker... And they're coming back Friday to finish the job. We only have power in the living room and kitchen until then, which will be entertaining... Haha.

I'd take some of those silkies they're trying to rehome if I get the go ahead. Lyle. needs some ladies BaD... He's mating poor Larry, and flirting with all the wild birds. I'm sure we could take a few. ;)

Well, lunch is over back to playing I'm the yard before it gets to hot for me out there.

ETA my horses are grazing the front pasture today. Mama, the white fence pusher, has already tested my new chicken yard... Time for me to put a hot wire around the top so she'll leave it alone and quit stealing feed.

Last edited:
Not trying to butt into any conversations but if you were around yesterday you understand what a "newbie" I am! LOL and today this newbie bought 6 chicks at TSC and I think I'm more nervous with baby chickens than I ever was when I brought any of my 5 human babies home!!! What in the world has happened to me!?!? My box is gonna have to be bigger within a couple of weeks, ive got the temp cozy for them now (I bought a thermometer) and everything I read says dont handle them but my kids are gonna be gaga for them so is it ok for them to cuddle a bit or shpuld I be mean mom and say hands off??

Not trying to butt into any conversations but if you were around yesterday you understand what a "newbie" I am! LOL and today this newbie bought 6 chicks at TSC and I think I'm more nervous with baby chickens than I ever was when I brought any of my 5 human babies home!!! What in the world has happened to me!?!? My box is gonna have to be bigger within a couple of weeks, ive got the temp cozy for them now (I bought a thermometer) and everything I read says dont handle them but my kids are gonna be gaga for them so is it ok for them to cuddle a bit or shpuld I be mean mom and say hands off??

I handle my chicks
D.gif
but kids would need to be careful and I have a hen now that when I drive up meets my car like a dog would.

Never be afraid to post. We always have more than one conversation going around here.

How old are your kids? I would show them how to handle them and go from there. If you don't mind the little ones pooping on you or the kids, have them sit down and let the chicks run up on them. Have them make slow movements. The chicks will get use to them.

Good luck and have fun!

Lisa :)

Yeah. That freaked me out in a BIG way. We just started our baby on the way stockpiling. I'd hate to lose what we just got, on top of all our furniture and belongings. This house was an old WW2 POW house they moved out here... Its OLD... The wiring is semi modern, probably late nineties the electrician said. I've lived here eight years now and never have we seen then lights as bright as they are now that he's come through and fixed the main ground.

They said we were lucky I knew to flip the breaker... And they're coming back Friday to finish the job. We only have power in the living room and kitchen until then, which will be entertaining... Haha.

I'd take some of those silkies they're trying to rehome if I get the go ahead. Lyle. needs some ladies BaD... He's mating poor Larry, and flirting with all the wild birds. I'm sure we could take a few.
wink.png

Well, lunch is over back to playing I'm the yard before it gets to hot for me out there.
Just came in to cool off and have a snack.

Little gang is really enjoying the outside. Too funny... We thought we could just put them in a tote and take them out....Oh so wrong...They flew right out of it, had to chase a couple around the chicken house. Had to put them in a transport cage. It should be interesting rounding them up later to put them back in their coop.

When the voltage dropped DH saw the fridge light was real dim so he knew something was wrong. That low voltage burned up the power supply in my computer, fortunately DH had a spare.

I gave the young man my phone number and e-mail, said he would give it to MIL. He won't be here tomorrow so I hope he remembers and she calls. I'll let you know either way within a day or two.

Back to work...Magpie

Just went to Tractor Supply just to look at their Wednesday delivery. They had about 5 feather footed bantams mixed in with the Meat chicks! That just was not right so I bought 4 of them. The other had a deformed foot and had to go to the back room :(. I will take pics tomorrow. I'm not even home today. My hubby had to drop me off back at church to cook and run home to set up the brooder!

Never be afraid to post. We always have more than one conversation going around here. 

How old are your kids?  I would show them how to handle them and go from there.  If you don't mind the little ones pooping on you or the kids, have them sit down and let the chicks run up on them.  Have them make slow movements.  The chicks will get use to them.

Good luck and have fun!

Lisa :)

Thanks so much! My older 3 are teenagers and then #4 is 6 and #5 is 19 months. I let them hold them for a minute and taught them how and taught the baby to "pet" with one finger and gently ao I think we're good! Thwyre havin a good time just watching them peck and eat and drink. I
1f49c.png
chickens!!!

Back
Top Bottom